Question for all the exotic car owners | FerrariChat

Question for all the exotic car owners

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 0UTXLR8, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    How often do you get people trying to rip you off because they see your car and assume you can afford to pay a little more than everyone else? I've been thinking about this and figured it would be a trade off for owning an exotic.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The good news is - because when you are "clued in" on this type of behavior - you are watchful... Always as for written quotes, always specify what you want done, etc.

Believe it or not - I have only had a few situations (that I know of :) in where it was obvious the person was trying to get a little more than what they would have charged - I just walk away.

The one big benefit about this site - when you are going or looking for something that you have not dealt with before - this is a great place to ask for help/advise... You will see many posts about dealer inquiries, products, who to deal with, where to go... This along with just good education on what you are looking for - when dealing with exotics - power is knowledge and it is hard to get fooled when you are aware of what you think is reasonable...

Of course I think that people get taken every day that invole just normal things - like mechanics on non-exotics, little old ladies getting taken on home repairs, financial advise, etc... It just pays to be as informed as you can be on anything that you want to ensure you are getting the best deal, value, etc.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is not just with owning an exotic car. Take up motorracing and watch people rip you off. Why?, because they know you have been infected with the racing drug and if you have it BAD, then all that matters in life is that lap time ... not how much it costs!

Pete

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good question. I've got a few quick thoughts...

First, people will judge, and you can't predict how they will judge. Some just think you're in a "hot rod" and don't correlate it with income. Others think Ferrari and automatically conclude you're top 0.25% wealthy/rich, which of course is a false conclusion.

I'll give you an example. I just bought a Nissan Murano from the dealer. I took off the Movado, dressed not flashy, and drove the SAAB. On the other hand, I listened well, made good points, caught them when they were trying tactics and manipluation, and in general gained their respect.

Same for the insurance settlemtn I recently went through... Watch came off. Same for my mechanic! And same when I just bought my 328! Jeeze, come to think of it, whenever negotiable purchases are involved I tend to de-flashify things.

Bottom line is, when the price is flexible, that means you negotiate. And whether you know it or not, you start negotiating with how you dress and what car you pull up in, period. It's all part of the picture.

The funny thing is, looking nice with a Ferrari will get you into some of the medium-nice clubs (but not the ones where EVERYONE'S in a Ferrari, lol) FREE! :)

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Attempt: about 66% of the time. Succeed about 5% of the time.