Relocating to Dubai? | FerrariChat

Relocating to Dubai?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AK79, Sep 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AK79

AK79 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    AK
    Fellow F-Chatters,

I'm in a bit of a quandry and would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions from the more experienced members out there.

I recently completed my undergraduate degree at a Top 20 University here in the States. Now realizing that my youth is quickly fleeting before me :( , I need to make some moves in life, and I figure I hear quite alot about Dubai, so why not try there.

I'm aware that some of the other members have lived in Dubai, or worked there for an amount of time. I was wondering if you all could point me in the right direction regarding securing employment there, and some general thoughts on this move that I am contemplating.. :confused:

Also, any recommendations for anywhere else in the Middle East, or even not at all?

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers :D

AK

2. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    I lived in Dubai for many years, its great but full of people who come with nothing and enjoy the lifestyle and leave with nothing. Keep you feet on the ground and you can make money there. The city of gold does not however give up it gold easily to expats.

What field are looking at?

3. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    Michael, I was in Shanghai over the GP weekend. There was a nice 308, any idea who the owner is, shouldn't be too many 308s in China?.

4. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    As far as I am aware mine is the only one in China, it was at the track outside the Toyota hospitality facility on Thursday. I sat with Michael and Willy Weber for lunch, spoke to a number of other F1 personnel at the track, have been out with various Ferrari team members for dinner which has not stopped as they are here till Sat, before going on to Japan.

I had the car at the dinner with you guys on Friday (for reasons much clearer later, the dinner was a somber affair and as such not so much mingling was achieved, condolences to the F club of HK).

Regardless of the figures produced by Italian motors for China sales. My car is the only car seen everyday in Shanghai and I doubt if there are more than 6 cars in Shanghai as I have only seen one other car in ten years and that was a 360. So they either buy or lock them up or they sell them elsewhere.

Fantastic pics you posted, I was in the Ferrari box on Thursday but for some reason I have never been able to post pics on Fchat, and Erik is out of town so the few I have will probably not be posted.

It has been a great week for me and Erik. Karen is enjoying some time at home in the US right now

On another note this is the second time that Ferrari HK has been to Shanghai this year, but we really knew nothing about it until the last minute. I emailed Italian motors about a month ago and asked if anyone was coming but have not had any reply to this day.

Mathew Marsh won in the Porsche race I met Mathew with the HK guys in June a nice guy give him my congratulations.

Regards from the Unofficial Ferrari Club of Shanghai. (only three at the moment Karen, Erik and myself)

Michael Collins

I asked Michael to get his mechanics to fix my 308 gearbox for me but his answer was "they do not know how"

5. AK79

AK79 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    AK
    Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Will keep leaving within my means in mind. I'm looking into entering into either sales/marketing, legal, or finance/accounting. My dual degree was in British Lit and Economics, and have a fair amount of sales background...

Thanks,

AK