RX-8: My Opinion and Jeremy Clarkson's | FerrariChat

RX-8: My Opinion and Jeremy Clarkson's

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by karmavore, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I test drove one this weekend and it was a blast. Very comfy, VERY smooth, and pretty quick even with my girl and the salesman.

Problem is, it's quite garish. Japanese bling and form over function everywhere. I'd never buy one because of it.

Top Gear had a similar review this week, but the remarkable thing was that it tied the M3 around their track! That impresses.

What do you guys think?

Luke.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i loved my Rx7 III. it's the only car i no longer own that i wish i hadn't sold.

i awaited the 8 quite anxiously to see how they could better the 7 III.

however i've ended up in your camp. totally uninterested in the 8 :(.

doody.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm crazy about the RX-8. Of course I'm a big RX-7 fan. I love them and even went to the dealership last week to look at them. The local dealer says they're selling 25 a week! I'm not in the financial position to get one now. Maybe in a couple years. The RX-8 will get a turbo after the Miata does and word is there will be a new kick ass RX-7.

When it comes down to it, no matter how much I love the Mazda's, I love Ferrari that much more. For $32k you could get into a $40-60k Ferrari at the same final cost. I would be tempted to even stretch to a 456 over a RX-8.

4. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Huh, how..?? weighing depreciation? what happens when you weigh maintenance over, say, four years?

Doody - I'm with you. I've been following the 8 for two and a half years sine the first prototype. Imagine my disappointment when it kept getting uglier and uglier. Its too bad.

Luke.

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    dude - you seriously gotta lay off the kool-aid :).

put the glass down. step back. take five deep breaths.

okay, feel better?

:)

doody.

6. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

LOL. :)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    In past 3 years my Ferrari has dropped in value only $2k. Any new $32k car would of dropped at least $12k. Go out 5+ years and it gets even better. My BMW has cost me twice the money of the 328 in the past 3 years maintenance wise. I don't understand why more people don't
    "get it".

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    This has become a different thread but...

I don't think people should say my X exotic requires 1/Y the maintenance of my Z normal daily driver. That's misleading, potentially. How about saying:

X costs Y/mile of weekend cruising
    Z costs W/mile of stop and go grocery getting

Luke.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    realistically speaking, i think your experience is anomalous, rob. i guess i'd suggest you think long and hard before you take your data points and apply them to a 456.

doody.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think the car looks great until you get to the back end of the roof... I can't stand those suicide doors - just screams "Saturn." I thought the interior was nice.

Tied the M3? That's surprising, since they keep lowering the '240' horses down and down as it turns out dynos are reporting they don't have quite that much. What's the weight on it?

11. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Isn't Mazda getting sued or something for misstating the HP in the new RX-8????

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From what I've heard on other boards, they've settled most of those by giving free service and warranty extensions... I'd be PO'ed if I bought a car under the impression it had 250hp(or 240), when it's really only like 228... it's a negligent difference for some (read: non-car enthusiasts), but for a 'car guy' you might as well find out it has 100hp.

13. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I thought I heard/read something about that.

It's an interesting issue. You would guess people who bought the car test drove it and found the power acceptable regardless of what was printed in the brochures. Finding out it has less HP doesn't make it drive any differently, only eliminates some bragging rights and/or comparisons. Hard to quantify damages unless you calculate $ per HP. However, that said, I guess I would be upset too.

14. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Mazda was pretty stand up on this. Either you can keep the car and get free service and like $500 bucks, or you can return it for a full refund.

Refunded cars will be sold to Mazda employees at a big discount.

Luke.

15. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Nice to see a car manufacturer standing by its customers to make things right. So many others turn the other way and try to avoid doing anything.

16. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    From my experience with the RX-8 (though limited), it's a nice car to have, but it's somewhat gaudy looks seem to detract. Also, it just doesn't really give me that "feeling" that I'd get with say an M3.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I drove a RX-8 for the first time last night.

I love the looks, the handling, the brakes, the sporty feel inside, the 6 speed, and the 8.5k redline.

The power didn't overwhelm me, but my friends car only has 650 miles on it. I was only hitting 6k RPMs or so.

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    RX8 - Too narrow and too tall. Look at a streched and lowered RX8 and we are talking quite attractive.

Side from that its pretty good.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I think I don't believe it is as quick around a track as the M3, unless it's a go-kart track.

Gary

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The handling and braking on this car are just awesome. I think a much lighter car too.

That's why I can drive my 115 RWHP 1st gen Rx7 around a track faster than street 355's. I do 2:04's at TWS http://www.spec7.org/videos/TWS2_04_5lap2003.mpg and 1:29 flat at MSR http://www.spec7.org/videos/20040307_SRX7_MSR_1_29_25.mpg.

Weight, handling, and braking are needed just as much as HP for a track. Not saying a BMW isn't a good example of a car that handles really well. My 170 RWHP BMW 325is can eat several cars with more HP on the track.

I guess my answer is I don't know between a M3 and RX-8, but it's possible at least.

21. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Raced against an RX-8 two times last season with my S2000 in B Stock Solo2. Beat him twice, but only by a few tenths...

Kind Regards, Chris

22. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I jsut test drove a couple today. The 6 speed was pretty fast. I scared the salesman in it though. First turn out of the lot I kicked the tail out for a nice slide and reved it up to 9k rpm! I think he got a kick out of it though :)

The automatic one wasnt nearly as fast, but it had some paddle shifters which were pretty fun.