SD1 Diagnostic equipment | FerrariChat

SD1 Diagnostic equipment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RF128706, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Anybody out there have any experience of the SD1 diagnostic equipment ?

I'd like to know:

- Will the diagnostic software run on a lap top/PC ?
    - What the hook-up leads are like & if there's any in-line circuitry.
    - Where I could start looking for the software ?

If I had the equipment I could keep my car in good shape and help my local F. Car buddies.

Thanks,

Rob.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can buy it. But it will cost you 25-30k. It is it's own self comtained unit much like say a GM scan tool. If you do alot of cars for service it might be worth it. But for an owner, many trips to the dealer would be needed to make a purchase like that worth it.

3. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    There was an SD2 set up on ebay last week ..... seller said it was new .... starting price was $ 17,500 ... didn't get any bids.

4. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    SD1 is the father of SDII. Same idea, less sophisticated. The software runs on a notebook computer, and if you have an original version of the software, you may need a Windows 95/98 machine for it to work. It came out in 1994/5 and was supported up until recently. The 360 was the first car for SDII.

SDII has replaced SD1. There may be old SD1's for sale somewhere. There is an interface that goes with it and uses serial port connection.

Rob

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    SDII should sell for no more than ~7500.

--Dan

6. tgaspl17

tgaspl17 Karting

Jul 12, 2022
    India
    Full Name:
    TGASPL
    I have a garage and recently an owner with a 1996 355 F1 spider got the car over(by truck) stating it won't shift gears. He has an original SD1 tool as well. Facing a problem where I can't get it to connect to the computer. Computer is on windows 98 but I keep getting an error stating no tester connection when I try going into any of the car systems. Is there any driver related software required? Thank you.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you turning off the immobiliser?

Assuming the Windows 98 computer is using its serial port, are you hooking up all the test leads prior to turning on the computer?

8. tgaspl17

tgaspl17 Karting

Jul 12, 2022
    India
    Full Name:
    TGASPL
    Hey thank you for the response. Yes I am using the serial port on the laptop to connect directly to the sd1 tool(no adapters in between).
    No I connect the cables after the computer has fully booted up. Will try connecting it before turning on the computer. If this does not work do you have any other things in mind that might help? It generally looks like a driver issue which isn't allowing a handshake between the tool and computer. I'm open to all inputs.

9. tgaspl17

tgaspl17 Karting

Jul 12, 2022
    India
    Full Name:
    TGASPL
    Edit- do I have to turn off the immobilizer of the car or there is some immobilizer for the tool that I don't know about? If it's for the car then yes.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just the car's immobiliser.

11. tgaspl17

tgaspl17 Karting

Jul 12, 2022
    India
    Full Name:
    TGASPL
    No luck with it. Any other thing that comes to your mind??

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Basically no (especially if your SD1 is not talking to any of your computers).

I had a problem with no-comms after an engine wiring harness change. The primary cause was some wires swapped over on the databus lines on the new OEM harness! However, even when the wires were swapped back there was still no-comm. My technician plugged the SD1 into the Immobiliser ECU and reset that. Then the SD1 would talk to the Motronics ECU.

I should have asked.... Does an ordinary OBD2 tool work with the Motronics ECU? If you don't have an OBD2 port under the dash, you can use an OBD2 to 3 pin Fiat adaptor.

13. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

SD1 runs in MSdos so it needs to have a laptop configured with some very old software. I am running windows 95 in MSDOS mode

14. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Never going to happen....