Steam Cleaner for engine cleaning, etc. | FerrariChat

Steam Cleaner for engine cleaning, etc.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GaryReed, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I bought a little portable steam cleaning machine (As seen on TV type) off of eBay the other day and it works great for cleaning various stuff in the engine compartment, wheels, etc....

Just thought I would pass along the tip. Do a search under "steam buggy" on eBay and you will find the unit that I bought. One company is selling slightly used, customer returns for really cheap. I got mine for $25! I think the regular retail is over $100.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks Gary,
    After watching one of the commercials for one of those I considered the same thing, especially if I wanted to avoid using chemicals or high pressure spray.

Should be showing up in Walmart in a few months.

DJ

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I would worry to work with steam in the engine compartement - must be the worst case scenario for electrical connection - penetrating hot steam onto cold metal? - compared to steam washers (mostly hot water) the steam cleaners produce "real steam" - maybe that I am over the top but ....

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    I if you pressure wash the engine bay you MUST disconnect all the wiring terminals and blow them dry with a air line,spay some good electrical cleaner in and re-connect(ingnition off)saves any corrosion,
    cheers
    Dale.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gary,
    Please report back on how it works, and your results with it.

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dave,

I -LIKE- the little steam cleaning machine. It was a great bargain for $25. I've been using it for cleaning the stove top, etc. in my kitchen too.

It has a very small nozzle "tip" which keeps the steam confined to a very small area, so there's no worry about getting steam all over the entire engine and electronics. There are also a number of various small brush attachments that came with it too.

Here's a picture of the nozzle and cleaning tips (sorry it's kinda fuzzy):

7. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thanks for the tip!! :) ;)