Street legal F40 GTE? | FerrariChat

Street legal F40 GTE?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Texas Forever, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with
    the law." -- David Dinkins, New York City Mayor, answering
    accusations that he failed to pay his taxes.

Question for Martin, not that I have ever done this, but I do have a friend who switched plates from one Porsche to another. He even drove the car back and forth accross the Canadian border, several times. After all a Porsche is a Porsche, yes/no/maybe? My friend owned both Porsches except one was a 1973 and the other was a 2001. Easy enough mistake, huh?

DrTax

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I was looking at the insanity that is the GTE, and a thought came to mind: rather than retrofit LM / GTE bits to a stock F40, why not simply swap VINs and be done with it? Obviously you'd tell no one, but the DMV would have no clue whatsoever.

Thoughts?

--Dan

3. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    In order to swap VIN#'s, you gotta own both!

So, I guess what you are asking is, instead of spending the cash to modify an F40 into a raped ape, why not spend the cash by buying an F40 and an F40LM, then swapping the VINs, right?

Well, I guess the answer is, it would cost a dong-load of money.

What would that run? A little over a million for the two?

4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    dong-load........lololol

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Damn, Ya'll are on to my scheme!

I'm going to register a 360 street car, then swap plates and take out my
    360GT late at night for a little fun on Westhiemer Blvd.

That'll teach those Ricers with the spray bottles.

All kidding aside, if DOT caught you, you'd get hit with the book like you were a late night chop shop.

A 355 and a 355C would be a cheap enough pair. What does Rob think?
    That big ass trunk wing would be the only clue!

I don't think the track cars have the bar code VIN which links to your license plate which links to your safety inspection. To many computers involved these days to do it, without some major fraud goin' on.

My lawyer's last comment to me was:

"My job will be a lot easier if you'd only break ONE law at a time!"

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFLMAO!

dan - we've clearly got to find you something more useful to do with your time, dude :)

"the only law i know, is don't get caught."

doody.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    If the track car has no VIN associated with it, that would make it even easier.

Ooh..."street legal" 360 Challenge....mwahahahah

--Dan

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doody? What? I'm not being productive enough? :D

--Dan

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No Doody I said 360GT!!!

One of those loud Risi cars. Hell, my neighbors would bust me when I cranked the damn thing up.

Of course, he's with HPD auto theft. I don't even roll my car's windows up anymore!

10. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Dan,
    Dude... man... bro... brah... you're going about this all bassackwards. Don't need to swap vins, man... just... swap... license plates!

As if, johnny law, really know his ferrari's, c'mon?

Oh, and as a disclaimer: I ,hubert, am in now way condoning the trickery or imposition of maladie , confusion, or general dumbfoudedness, when Dan (after using my "suggestion") proceeds to blow the apache CHP helicopter into the weeds with his "street legal" license plate frame trickery equipped f40 lm gt.
    So, don't come cryin to me, but do leave me the keys when you go... "up river."

-hubert

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's why pre 68 race cars are so valuable. They are easily made street legal. I'd suggest a nice 250LM. More ride height than an F40GTE and fast enough.

12. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Duh! that's why you push it down the street...

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dan , if you are doing this, im moving to your garage !

A street legal GTE is my dream car.

With our without the getrag sequential gearbox ?

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ahh, grasshopper, you speak with the spirit of youth!

I can't push 'em any more. I pick up the cell for a rollback!

Napolis has a good point. If you can keep a 250LM on the road at speed, you are a bad ass.

You think Tony George would break that one out of the Indy Museum?
    It breaks my heart to see it just sit there. Jus' call, Tony!

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I think swapping license plates is the worst thing you can do.
    I have dealer plates and can drive a toilet bowl on the street with my plates but you never change license plates from one car to the next. I remember earlier this year. It was late night. I was heading to the warehouse with my registered 348. At the warehouse I wanted to swap cars for the 308Fiber. Forgot my dealerplates at my house and thought of taking off my 348 plate and put it on. "Just another Ferrari". I opted not to and just used a marker and painted the dealer plate number on a sheet of paper and duck taped it to the rear window.
    At 10pm I get pulled over by 3 police cars. I explained and also told them that I first wanted to take my license plate his answer was:
    "That would have landed you in the slammer for the night". That is just as bad as switching VINs.
    Get a dealer license and tag if you want to drive a Challenge car on the road. I do it all the time.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Someone mentioned on the old board a while back that there was someone out west i believe, who owned a 959 and was caught with it; so he switched the vins between his 959 and his 911 and the 911 was impounded, thus opening the gateway to eternal freedom for his 959...

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That one is pretty special. That's the last Ferrari that finished 1 OA at LeMans. Sad to see it just sitting...

18. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I know of a person who took the 360 challenge title to the licence branch and was able to get plates. The title says at the very bottom, something like race car not streetable. But it is in very small print, the clerk did not catch it therefore he has a plate.

19. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    heh, even if you didn't have plates who could catch you? the cops couldn't even setup a roadblock in time to catch you. you could outrun their helos.

ok, exaggerating just a lil bit, but if you wanted to run i'm sure you could get away. your only issue would be running out of gas before you shake them.

20. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Swapping license plates will, theoretically, get you tossed into jail, perhaps, for driving an UNREGISTERED car and without insurance. Severity of punishment depends on your state's laws. Likelihood of cop actually noticing that the plate belongs on a 360 street car instead of the 360 Challenge you're driving? Depends on how savvy he/she is and how loud/ridiculous you are.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, should you wreck, say, your 360 Challenge while driving on your 360 Street car plate, you will NOT BE COVERED by your insurance company. Claim adjusters will almost certainly check the VIN before authorizing payment. And even if you could swap all of the VIN plates, I suspect an adjuster will notice when all of the parts to be purchased are Challenge parts....

vty,

--Dennis

21. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    not to be a party pooper but its a class "A" a big time felony to screw with the vin on a car or anything else for that matter.even if you own both cars in question you will be in big doo doo when the man catches you. i know of a person that was stealing VW 'S and porsches and swapping what he though was all the numbers. the police were already on to him and allowing him to proceed to catch the bigger fish up the food chain. turns out the vin is also sewn into the seats belts on the car he had and the police took his car apart on the side of the road until they found the original ( stolen ) vin on the belts. from there he had a bad day. i have a friend in the ga state patrol, which is how i know of this. you own ferraris, you are already have cargod status, why not do things the right way.... seems like you should be able to afford it. my .02 :eek:)

22. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Just get Manufactuar/Dealer status.

You can drive a RadioFlyer on the street now. (or a non-molested Euro car, for instance.) If you're even extra ballsy, get a fake Euro plate that reads "BU6R OF" and tape the real reg in the corner of the window.

Dan- we'll just have to outrun 'em in the 1.5" ground-clearance cars though ;) ;) ;)