308 EGR valve | FerrariChat

308 EGR valve

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Hi,
    my EGR valve is toast.

I still need to pass 1 more emission test. Does the valve need to be operational to pass the test (assuming everything else is ok)?

I read in past posts that many people block the EGR valve or remove it completely. From a point of view of driveability and harm to the engine, is taking the valve out kosher?

Are there other known (less expensive) generic replacements?

Is there anybody that would sell me a used but working valve?

I can manually have the valve closed or open. I understand that if I leave it open it can mess the idle speed badly. If I leave closed my NOx can go up quite a bit. Any thoughts/ suggestions as what to do?

Thanks,

Gianluca

Thanks

2. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    ...please...?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i believe the egr valve only opens to allow exhaust gases to circulate with the air fuel charge at high speed/ close to wide open throttle . that is why a car ( any car) will run awful if the valve is stuck open at idle. it would be like running a marathon with a bag over your face and dituled air instead of fresh air.
    as to the removal or bypass, i am not a ferrari owner but it has NEVER hurt any of my other cars. the question to your question is , will it be allowed to be removed / disabled when the car is inspected and tested. i " think" all of the emissions " stuff" is supposed to be there when the car is inspected and tested. we dont have testing where i live so i hope my sort of answer will help.