308 Front Springs | FerrariChat

308 Front Springs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tojo, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just did a full suspension, shock absorber and steering rack rebuild and now the front of my car sits about an inch and a half too high. I knew the new bushes would bring the car up a little bit to make up for where the old ones had collapsed, but they've had time to settle and it's still too high.

So I'm looking for tips on what might be wrong. At the moment I'm thinking the front springs need resetting, or by an absolute outside chance I've ^%$#%$ up and put the front and rear springs around the wrong way. But I'm 99.99% certain I got it right. We used the manual with the correct lengths specified and separated the fronts from rears to be certain.

Would someone out there possibly be able to crawl into their wheel arches and measure the length of their front and rear springs for me, so I can check and see if mine are any different. Or if anyone has any other ideas of what could be wrong, I'd be thankfull for any help.

2. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I just finished doing the same job on my 81 308 GTSi, and like you found the body sitting up about a inch over what is was before I started. I called my former mechanic in San Francisco, and told him what had occured, he assured me that the car would settle down after it was driven a while. I has to do with the new bushings in the shocks.
    That was three weeks ago, and I have since put on about 200 miles.
    The car has settled down a bit, and I do believe it will probably go back to where it was before I worked on the suspension. At least that is what happened with my car.

3. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    I am guessing at what you have done here, and assuming you have used standard bushes.
    My guess is that when you have tightened up the suspension nuts, your wishbones were "hanging" a bit. With the standard bush, all the movement in the suspesion is within the rubber component - about 10 degress each way - when you tighten up the suspension, you effectively lock up the inner and outer casings of the bush. If the suspension was hanging down at that point, the car, when on its wheels will sit higher.
    Suggest put the car on a 4 post hoist so it still has it's weight on the wheels and loosen off all the suspension nuts, bounce it up and down a bit, then re-tighten. Should fix the problem.
    If you've used polyurethane bushes, I have no idea.
    John

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Agree with jmillard308 - very common mistake to make.

flashman - your mechanic is wrong - shock bushes would not effect the ride height.

MW

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    BTDT, agree with John too.

Malcolm, (others) I've just replaced my springs. I noticed that my (year old) shock bushings are not looking too great in one of the fronts. Anyone make a Delrin or similar to replace the stock part?

[I am somewhat familiar with the ES fiasco of last year]

6. Jax8308

Jax8308 Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    N.J.
    Full Name:
    Jack B.
  7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks guys. John, I made sure to tighten all the bushes with the weight of the car on the suspension, and someone to jump up and down in the engine bay and front frame, at the advive of Gerry Dyvo. You might have noticed the front of my car up a bit high when we were in Adelaide. (the dark blue 308).

I'm pretty sure after driving Syd, Adl, Mel, Syd, about 4500 kms it would have settled, which makes me think the springs need resetting.

8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Tim - sorry, didn't realise it was you - perhaps if you put some details in your profile..................:)
    Have you spoken to Gerry about this?
    Not much point in measuring springs from a car that is correct - if your car is higher, your springs will obviously measure longer.
    I have been trying to find details of free spring lengths to compare front to rear, but unsuccessful - perhaps someone else can help in this regard.
    Regards
    John

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    From a thread on the old board, all spring lengths unladen:
    308 GT4, front Spring = 14.5"; rear = 14.44
    308 GTB, front = 13.43"; rear = 14.8"
    30 GTS, front = 14.5"; rear = 15.19"
    HTH
    Philip

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Tojo i rebuilt a bm 740 rear suspension today,on TWO post lift,wishbone arm bushes lower and four new top arm's, and done this for 24 years on all makes,tighten all bushed ends to chassis pickups then slack off two full turns,ball jointed ends tighten fully,
    after assembly check over your work is anything rubbing somthing it should not,drop it down then i usually drive it(not on the road but 100yrd's down the trading estate)and back then on to a FOUR post lift,now you can tighten those bushed joints you left loose,grab an inspection lamp and check your work again,
    now youve GOT to track it ALL FOUR WHEELS,
    go this route you wont be far away,as for the ride height its the springs as the other guys have said,wrong springs,correct spring set wrong,
    go there happy fixing,
    Dale.