348 questions.. | FerrariChat

348 questions..

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NYJETSFAN, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    91 348ts around 20000 miles, owner thinks it had the 30000 service done on a few years ago, but how can I tell if there is no paper work?
    had a new clutch install last month got the paper work on that.

but when I had the car put in the air I noticed small oil leak around the rt rear side of the engine near a small flat shield or pan, I took pics and will post them, any ideas what it could be. I maybe interested in buying the car,
    but I dont know much about 348`s

Thanks for any help guys..

2. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb

Arie:
    I just went through this process and bought a 90 348ts with 32K miles, red rocker and roof panels and other little updates. Just like you said, although the car looked great there was no belt change documented but owner swore it had been done a few years ago. The bottom line is that unless is it documented somewhere, you can't assume it was done and the need for the engine-out service should reflect in the negotiated price. It did in my case and I ended up buying the car. I'm very happy with the car as it was in found to be in mechanically excellent condition on PPI. I will be doing my own major soon and will know it was done with no worries. All in all, I got exactly what I was looking for (a driver's car that needed just a little work) and am very happy with the car and the price.

As I'm sure others can attest, documentation of past work is important, but the most important thing (at least to me) is current condition - get a PPI and if it checks out, negotiate based on the assumption that it will need whatever work is now due but not documented (belts, clutch, etc). I'm curious to see what the experts on the list have to say.
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice.

Shan

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Oh yeah - about the leak....

I would have a good mechanic look at it and determine the source of the leak. Seems like they will all leak at some time or another, so it may be no big deal. If it is not too serious you could probably address this when the engine is out for belt change anyway. Just a thought.

Good luck in your search.

Shan