355 challenge question | FerrariChat

355 challenge question

Discussion in '348/355' started by riverflyer, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Yesterday, I drove a 355 challenge car that has been street legalized with a/c, cats, lights and interior. While it rode pretty harsh the sound was intoxicating. The cats seem to cut and mellow the sound, as I had a present challenge car to compare it with. Anyway, the sound was more than hearing but was like a feeling and one that I can not shake. I have been told the challenge exhuast came in a couple of different formats and am looking for info on this. Anyone with direct experience that can tell me what is involved with this exhaust system and how it could be reproduced in a stock 355?
    It was not too loud either, something you could live with if you love great exhaust note. Any feedback appreciated, John

2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    C'mon, there must be some 355 owners who know about the challenge exhaust. Anybody?

3. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    You may try sending a PM to Jon Kofod user name:FLATOUTRACING as he converted his stock 355 to a challenge.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Engine wise, A 355C IS a stock 355, but with a challenge exhaust silencer fitted! To "re-produce" the sound...buy a 355C exhaust....Ta daaa!

What is hard to know without looking, is if the cats are really still there...many are just hollowed out cases and the expansion chamber that remains makes a lovely sound....

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Would such a set up pass smog? I know the 355 is very effecient set up.

Pino, thanks for the heads up, I will try pm'ing Jon

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    aaah, smog schmog. Do the test and change it after!

7. 99F355

99F355 Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    LONDON, UK
    Full Name:
    Chip
    If you cannot get hold of a standard Challenge system, buy a system from QV London that is an exact replica. I have it on my car, and it doesn't sound bad. I also have a Tubi Pipe Only system, that has no silencing. This is like the Challenge Spa system . I have been warned that this is too loud. However, I have to try it once.

I will let you know how it goes.

Roger

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    If I'm not mistaken, 355 Challenges that ran in the North America series did have cats. I know that to be true of the 2001 season.

9. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Not entirely true; but not far off. ALL 355 Ch regardless of year run the 1995 spec engine management, which some say has an effect on engine note. There are actually THREE different spec 355 Ch exhausts. The original spec was merely changing the street muffler for the smaller "challenge" muffler. In 1998 the "98 kit" added a "hollow Y piece" which removed the Cats at the top. It also included a hollow tube that replaced the bypass valve in the exhaust. So in 1998, you had the earlier muffler, hollow Y piece and no bypass valve. The 3rd exhaust option was a "Full race" un-muffled straight through system in place of the "normal" challenge muffler. This version was loud enough to make your ears bleed. I had the 1998 spec exhaust on my 355 Challenge and I still think it was the BEST sounding modern Ferrari. Even better than my 360 N-GT.

Good luck buying any of these 355 Challenge parts today. They were produced in a very limited run. Best option would be to contact the Ferrari dealers who ran/supported 355 Challenge teams.

10. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I have a challenge muffler(not straight thru pipes) on my 98 355tb. It is about one half the size and weight of the street muffler. It requires a separate cross piece to hold it on but it is not difficult to install. I left the cats and the exhaust by pass valve intact. It has a good sound but not too loud as to be intrusive. I was concerned with the heat generated and wanted a better sound. Perhaps there is a slight power improvement but not discernible to me. I have decided that the only way to get any real improvement in the underhood heat is to replace the cats and install a challenge real grille. Price was about half of a Tubi but installation was more involved. If you decide to buy a challenge muffler, be sure it has not been bent in a rear end collision as that is not uncommon.

11. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    The above info is correct. As for finding one in the US (muffled), there are none left and the factory in Italy has none.

My Challenge car came with the 95 spec exhausts. The straight pipes sound the best. Unbelievable sound but will never pass a street noise test.

I know of at least two Challenge owners here in the US trying to hunt one down and the only one left is mine which was sold with my car to a fellow Ferrari chatter. My "muffled" exhaust has never been installed.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    does anyone have a picture of what that unmuffled loud exhaust looks like?

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the full story responses. I really appreciate the info. So it seems the best way to get the sound is to buy a challenge car!! From what I understand, 95 was the only year that came with a title so it could become street legal, does that sound right?

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

Search the archives. Been discussed many times.

In short, yes it can be legally done, if you remove the kit and have the car re-inspected.