84' boxer warning light | FerrariChat

84' boxer warning light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by msdesignltd, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just picked up an 84 512 Boxer...there are 2 battery alternator warning lights on dash,one goes out one stays on are there 2 alternators?... what to do? calling wide world of cars today..

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Your assumption is correct, there are two alternators fitted to the 512BBi, they are identical, only the belts that drive them are different. They have their own individual regulator built into the alternator, apart from a thrown belt the most likely cause of the warning light comming on is a faulty regulator.

One other cause of failure is, as they are mounted at the lower part of the front of the engine any major oil leaks can find their way into the alternators.

MW

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I suspect that a faulty alternature/regulator is only the beginning of the problems yet to come on a garage queen Boxer that has been driven as few miles as yours. With a Boxer, one would be better off to buy a well driven example and pay to have the cosmetics restored than to buy a garage queen with perfect cosmetics and have to pay for all the electrical, seals, hoses and mechnical problems that are certain to arise. We will pray for you.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Too late!!

He's spent his money! Maybe this is the only glitch.

I don't think prayer works with these cars. Although my pastor has asked to borrow mine, to take his wife on a date! Maybe a little holy water in the coolant.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Cheer up! the last alternator problem I had only cost $12.

3 Hrs. to take it off and reinstall though.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Come on now, we're all still waiting to hear what else needs replacing ? Keep us up to date !