Anyone know why we get PS for "performance start" in the US.... | FerrariChat

Anyone know why we get PS for "performance start" in the US....

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by John Geiger, Jun 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    instead of "Launch" on the transmission buttons like they get in Europe? I'm assuming it's some sort of liability issue?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In one of the first videos I looked @ on YouTube, the presenter confidently said that PS = power steering button! :D
    I should try to find that video again. It was a hoot.
    I suspect your guess about liability is probably on the right track. From Wiki..."
    The Nissan GT-R has electronics to control launch but the company does not use the term "launch control"[1] since some owners have equated the term with turning off the stability control to launch the car, which may void the warranty of the drivetrain. The current version of Nissan GT-R allows user to launch the car by turning the Traction Control to "R" mode." I can't imagine the legal minds @ F are much different...T

3. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Ha...yes...PS is so "cryptic". People always try to guess what it means. Apparently it means "Partenza Sportiva" in Italian for sport depart. I'm thinking about having my buttons changed out. "Launch" is so much cooler. You can tell passengers they are sitting in the "ejection seat" or that you can "launch" missiles. LOL

tomc likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m guessing legal issues and liability. Launch may hint at sporty driving on public roads. Sports departure (partenza sportiva) sounds more ambiguous, less racy.

Some manufacturers even use “dynamic start”, to further distance themselves from the idea of enabling aggressive behavior on public roads, even though every start is dynamic by definition! Lol.

To me it’s tomatoh tomato :D

Andrew Pour and John Geiger like this.