Boxer Pinging | FerrariChat

Boxer Pinging

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by muttsjet, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. muttsjet

muttsjet Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Just ran my 83 Boxer thru CA Smog and passed! HC were at max limits, but they were during previous Smog check as well.

After check went for a drive on 126 toward Ventura and picked up some serious pinging at 5-6K RPM. I've had this before and changed plugs and gaps and that seemed to reduce the problem.

Before I start spending big bucks, what are the best plugs (temp and type) and gaps? Can't get the Champions the workshop manual recommends, and they seem a little cold anyway.

Thanx,
    Mutt

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Agree with your sentiment that (while we all wish we actually needed the stock "cold" spark plug) going 1 heat range hotter isn't an unreasonable thing to try/use (at least in the US). But if your problem is detonation, going hotter (from a stock equivalent) doesn't seem the right direction.
    What spark plug is in the car now? (i.e., Did someone already step up a boatload in heat range to address a HC/oil fouling problem?)
    By the NGK numbers, you'd run BR8EIX (perhaps sans resistive extenders if so equipped) at .020" gap (so that would be BR7EIX up 1 heat range -- http://www.clubplug.net/retail_iridium_ngk.html). The .020" gap seems smallish, but (thankfully) no Dinoplex experience for me ;).
    It wouldn't be a sin to try a fresh set of plugs (especially if you're running the older, large-diameter electrode standard plugs), but if the problem persists I think you'd need to verify the ignition timing is behaving OK as a next step (i.e., OKish at idle and 5000 RPM and changing smoothly with RPM) -- JMOs.