Changing small in-carb. fuel filters? | FerrariChat

Changing small in-carb. fuel filters?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hello Gentlemen,
    Can anyone tell me the proceedure of changing these little guys, also the part # BTW: It's a 79 308GTB.
    Thanks you very much!
    Chris.

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    The filters point downward, and are "represented" by a large bolt-like head. Somewhere around 18mm, as I recall.

Hold onto the carb top in the area of the filter when removing, as you may have to apply considerable torque (or is that HP?? <g> - different thread!), and it's possible to break the casting in this area.

New filters are available from all the usual sources, such as Pierce Manifolds. However, the newer ones, in my opinion, aren't as good as the original. In any event, both the old and new are wire screens, and should be washable.

You'll need a sealing washer/gasket. My original ones were copper, Pierce Manifolds supplied me with fiber ones. Not a clue as to which is better.

I had problems making the gasket seal. I found that the mating surface on the carb top casting wasn't smooth or even. Use a big-ass file to flatten and true up this area. You'll probably see from the file marks that there are serious imperfections. A touch of non-hardening Permatex #2 will seal it up for good.

3. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you very much for the information!
    Chris.