Cleaning and polishing Black Anodized Aluminum | FerrariChat

Cleaning and polishing Black Anodized Aluminum

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by cavallo_nero, Dec 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I did a search here, but could not come up with anything. The front Grille, Engine cover and front Louvers are black anodized aluminum on my 78 308.
    On the front Grille, Looks to be a buildup of something (grease, oil?) in some areas, i dont think its all oxidation. See pic after i have tried degreasing, and using mothers paint polishing compounds and wax, and lots of elbow grease, Some Sections are nice and shiny, other sections seem to have a baked on(yet smooth) coating that dulls the finish,
    What are the best products and methods to clean and polish these finned works of art.
    Thanks in advance

The only thing flat earthers fear is sphere itself, and dont trust an Atom, they make up everything.

Attached Files:

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I don't think you can make it better by cleaning any further, and polishing will just remove more of the anodizing and cause it oxidize even faster.

To make it better will require restoration. The best option is to have all the parts re-anodized. I think there are places in Colorado that can do anodizing, though the engine grill may be too large for their tanks. I haven't looked into it yet but my grills also need to be re-anodized.

Instead of re-anodizing, you can just paint them with a black satin trim paint if originality isn't important to you.

020147 and cavallo_nero like this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

In the commercial glass business cleaning aluminum was always a problem. There is a product called "shine em up" sold by CR Laurence Co. to glass contractors that is the cats pajamas. I haven't ordered this stuff in many years, and don't know if it is still available, but it sure worked great on old faded and oxidized aluminum.

cavallo_nero likes this.