Do the F355's really have.... | FerrariChat

Do the F355's really have....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Fly, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I was told that the F355's have a some sort of removable panel behind the seats which gives access to the cam belts. Now after reading many posts on this site I find it very hard to believe that this is true, can anyone confirm this? If so does this mean we can have the 30k mile service done for a grand or so?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ten thousand 355s worldwide have had their major service by now, and nobody bothered to check for an access panel until now ;)

although i've heard people tell of engine-out majors being done without taking the engines out (usually involving removing other major components instead), as far as i know, it's just rumour.

doody

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Perhaps at some point, something was lost in translation and the belt service was confused with checking a 355 spyder's top hydraulic fluid reservoir, as it is located behind such a panel.

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    there is no such panel on the 355. The engine must be lowered out for cam belt service.

Now on the 348/mondial t, the fuel tank can be removed to access the cam belt and tensioners in an emergency, but I do not recommend due to the tight area that you have to work in.

Best regards, Jim

5. EHKim

EHKim Karting

Dec 17, 2003
    Socal
    I have read that the 360's have a removable access panel behind the seats. I think I read that here in FChat.

6. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    yes, 360 does have that panel for cam belt access.

7. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Unfortunately the F355 don't have any removable Firewall to access the front of the engine. You therefore have to lower the engine to get the belt replaced :-(

This is no more the case of the 360. One can change the belt from the cabin by removing a section of the firewall. For instance, it was the same of the very exiting 288 GTO.

Yves

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Suggesting that you need the engine out to change cambelts is an interesting myth... You do NOT have to take the engine out. I know this is true because mine were done last year. If you go to an official franchised dealer, they will take the engine out and charge you at least double for the priviledge. A reputable independent will save you the cash and do just as good a job.

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The 288GTO did have an access panel that allowed the cam belts to be changed with the engine still in the car. That was in 1984 so I wonder why Ferrari didn't do that on the 348 ? Oh yea, I forget, so their dealers could make more money removing a lot of engines