Does anybody know anything about Carrera slot cars? | FerrariChat

Does anybody know anything about Carrera slot cars?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jimpo1, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I got a Scalextric race set for Christmas and have already extended the original set with some SCX track. I bought adapters and the track works great with both the Scalextric cars and the SCX cars. Today I got the Carrera Enzo that I won off of Ebay. It will hardly run on this track. It was getting high centered (!) and sputtering around the whole track. I located a 'magnet bar' between the rear wheels and removed it. It improved the ground clearance, but made the engine run even worse. The GT40 Scalextric cars have less ground clearance than the Enzo, and they haul ass, but they do have a shorter wheelbase.

Does anybody have any ideas? Might I be having a problem because the Enzo is 'Euro' and not designed for the US market? It seems to do better on the Scalextric track than on the SCX track as the Scalextric track is smoother and less pliable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hi Jimpo,

There should be no difference between Euro and US cars. The sets, tracks and cars are universal.

I would check the braids if I were you. The problem sounds like bad contact. They are easy to ply in any direction and you can adjust them so that you even adjust the riding hight with them.

The magnet should have no influence on the riding hight but is only there to improve the roadholding. The fact that it does have an influence points at the braids as well. Just fiddle with them a little and see if that helps.

Jack

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is a somewhat interesting book out called "Collecting slot cars". Picked it up at my local hobby shop. It does have a good section about modifying slot cars and trouble shooting. Changing the contacts is one, changing the weight distribution by adding lead to the front or rear of the car and changing the magnets will help.

Carrera and Scalextric should be compatible. I won an old 250 GTO off ebay from Carrera. Its power pickup was broken though. So I took it off its drivetrain and mounted it on one of the GT40 you mentioned (yes, they haul ass, but the best are the Scalextric Lolas). Same distance between the wheels so it came out good.

You mention the Enzo has a different wheelbase. Well, compare it then to a Lola (from Scalextric), that might just fit. So in the worst case you 'sacrifice' a Lola to get the Enzo going. Not a bad thing after all: It keeps competition fair if you use the same underlying car. One player drives the Enzo, the other player plays the bad guy in the Lola. I did the same thing for a 333SP now on Lola base.

PS: About to wrap up my Fiorano Scalextric track. Came out very nice with over 35 feet in length.

4. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Thanks guys, I'll try messing with the braids. As I'm thinking about it, the Enzo didn't come with spare braids, my other four cars did.

Jack, the magnet I removed was actually attached to the bottom of the car using a black plastic brace. It was very thin, but when I removed it it made the bottom of the car entirely flat. When the magnet was on, it was snagging on the joints where the track pieces connect.

There is also a magnet installed inside the car that I can adjust from the bottom simply by moving it to the front or back.

This is pretty frustrating, with the other cars I just put them on the track and drove them.

Jim

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I feel your pain.
    :)

I thought the same. The conversions took me hours and I swore never to buy a non Scalextric car.

Actually I have a Fly Ferrari, which is darn cool and it runs well, but it doesn't have any magnets. It does some lurid slides, but on my track with varying camber the car is barely drivable.

6. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Andreas, go buy an SCX rally car. 4 wheel drive and magnets! They do awesome power slides with all four wheels spinning to pull them out. I bought an entire SCX set for $70, less than the price of 2 SCX cars. Add in 2 track adapters and I had another 8 feet of track! They're noisy as hell though.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, oh! That sounds awesome. All of it! Roger Willco!

The GT40 and the Lola are not bad with their magnets to get them out of trouble. I manage to get them sliding just a bit, then apply full throttle and they kinda jump and find their slot again. You feel like Walter Roehrl after a saved drift.
    :)

I love my Fly car, but it just jumps out of the slot when there is too much camber. No fun. But the slides are awesome. So I think what you're suggesting might be the best of both worlds.

8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I messed with the braids last night and the car runs significantly better. It is still high-centering a little, and it's not yet as fast as my GT40 Scalextrics, but at least I can drive it for more than a few laps. Thanks for the help!

9. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wish I had known you were a slot nut too when I met you at Norwood's. Those little magnets you can move around are traction magnets. Take the bottom one off and tape it on the other side of your bottom chassis plate. Thin dbl sided tape is best.

When setting your braids you will need to have them hanging down a little more then usual. First push them into the slot guide with both thumbs and "roll" them slightly forward so they lay perfectly flat on the guide. Then (while only touching the very ends) bend them to 90 degrees and let go. They will spring back to the correct angle for use unless they are worn out. Also, spray the braids with WD40 and wipe them clean (front to back). That alone may be your problem.

If you have problems racing with mutiple cars on the track at once you will need to clip a capacitor in the power track. Open the track piece and locate the nicely cooked capacitor (it will be obvious). Clip one of its legs and leave it in there. That capacitor exists on sets sold in the UK and the US. Mine is an F1 track.