Electric water pumps. | FerrariChat

Electric water pumps.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dale, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi gents,im using two of these pumps on a v6 cosworth engine im building for a family member,ive lazor cut a alloy plate and seperated the banks and using twin small rads its all my own design and no thermostats are needed,have fitted these to a few freinds sprint and hillclimb cars with never a cooling problem,my question is have you guys ever used one on your ferraris,if i had a tr,308,328 id try these pumps, im sure maintanance and cost will fall,and pump changing would be so simple,
    Dalhttp://www.daviescraig.com.au/newproduct.htmle.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm have trouble with the no thermostat part on a street car. Unless you're using a motor controller to vary pump speed as a function of engine temperature, if you are, then I'm having trouble with the cost part. Actually, I'm having trouble with the cost part anyway. I just spent a lot of time researching electric pumps to use on my water/air intercooler and found pumps that would cool the engine and work at the temps it needs to work are in the $200-$350 dollar range. Parts to rebuild a 308 water pump are well under $100. Also, the alternator belt goes around the pump and on my car at least, can't go just to the alternator without running into the A/C parts, so an idler would need to be put where the water pump came off. And last, pumps draw around 10 - 20 amps, the alternators on earlier car only put out 45 amps, so you couldn't add that kind of load, you'd have to have the alternator upgraded for another $100-$300.

3. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi mark,see what you mean about the amp draw etc,i am using a smart controller but im getting it moded by a mate in the racing industry,this will then windmill the pump like a turbo charger at idle,and send it to a higher rpm when temp rises,i have two good friends who work at pro-drive and they told me about the pump system on there 550 gt car a while ago when it was under the pro-drive roof,
    mark do you run a seperate system for the charge cooler-not engine coolant,
    Regards
    Dale.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Dale,
    I think it's a great idea for a race car, and it sounds like you've got it set-up propperly. Mechanical pumps do take way more engine power than the should at high rpm, particularly on cold days. An electric pump lets you use only what you need, but takes a few more parts. Any idea of wht the net hp increase is running the electric onve a mechanical pump??

I an running a separate cooling loop for the IC to keep to air nice and cold. I actually am interested in finding a motor controller to use on the pump. Right now it just runs full speed when the key is on, kind of wasteful since I only need it when I'm on boost. I'd like to set it up to run slowly all the time, then ramp up on boost. I just haven't found a good way to do it yet.