Emissions nightmare.... | FerrariChat

Emissions nightmare....

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    aw, sh*t!
    so, after about 9 months of ownership, I'm overdue to get her smogged.
    I thought I could just do the idle test.... but NO! only cars bulit before 1980! I had the manager there.... no go. Called Lee at LFSC, he said there is no way around it.
    The manager, the oldest guy there (50s??) did not want to do the test for me. As I was trying my hardest to get out of it, like stating a new transmission runs over $8,000 (pulled that number out of the air). Only ONE person there volunteered to do it (the would NOT let me do it). They let me sit in the passenger seat, and he actually did alright.

had to do the WHOLE test.... then SHE FAILED!
    Off to the principals office.... I've got less than a month to get her in order.
    SH*T!! this is gonna cost me....
    Going to LFSC in 2 weeks to see the emissions doctor....

anyone lived this bad dream?
    ONE MORE benefit of living in Crook County!

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, so far it's been almost a year since i got my car and so far no notice yet for me.. :) I am dreading that day i have to take it to one of those places and i will also tell them the price of a transmission, price for a clutch, etc on this car and state that my insurance doesn't cover anyone under the age of 35 in my car, so i hope the person doing the test has VERY good insurance coverage....

When my car got it's 30K service in Feb. at Continental, they ran a smog test on it for me and it was well below the limits....

Try going to a different testing facility and talk to that manager after you get the prob taken care of. Maybe then you can just do the static test??? A thought...

Keep us informed....

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I just went through the same thing last week.

Even though my last emissions test showed it was an idle test (the test was done at the same station), they insisted that this couldn't be.

I also told them I drove the car through; again they said this was impossible, only authorized personnel are allowed to drive the cars through (note: the week before, a friend brought his RV in, and they told him to drive it because it's so big.

A girl that works there told me they are all experienced drivers, and they drive Ferraris and Lambos all of the time. Yeah....sure!

I asked her if she could tell me where 1st. gear is on the Ferrari. She said it's an international shifter (whatever the he** that is?), and that she didn't have to tell me where 1st. gear is!

There was even a guy from Springfield there who also insisted that I could not drive the car, and that it had to go on the dyno.

I told him no way, I'm driving the car and it's not going on the dyno!!

He called Springfield......I got the idle test and I drove the car.

Mike, where are you located?

I go to the emissions station in Palatine, and my mechanic is right around the corner.

On the rare occasion that any of my cars don't pass, I just zip over to his place and, if it's something minor, he'll fix it and I go right back for another test

4. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Hey I got pissed at the 350 lbs. guy who thought he was going to goet in my 308.

I refused and left. I applied for a show car exemption and have not been back. That was 3 years ago.

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Richard -
    what is needed to to get a "show car" exemption?
    Mileage restrictions?
    I've got Hagerty, which does have restrictions (like I abide by it!)

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    for us uneducated folks, can you explain this super-duper-uber smog test to us? they put your car on a dyno? they drive it "through" something?

curious,
    doody.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They connect their measurment pipes to the exhaust and put the driven wheels on a dyno. In front of the car is a fan blowing air to the radiators. Then the guy gets in and starts the process. A computer screen shows him how high he is supposed to rev the engine through the gears.

I did that a couple of years ago (meaning I'm due this year again, oh dear) and they were very professional with my car. It needed however to go through the process twice as it failed the first time. You stand there and watch and pray while they rev up the engine to about 6,000rpm. What you would normally consider a very cool engine sound all of a sudden feels like immense pain as you helplessly watch.

But once I got the PASS sticker, it felt like x-mas and birthday wrapped into one. I was yahooing all the way back.

4 more years with the cats and the exhaust....

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Sorry - got interupted during my last post (they actually want me to work when I'm at work?!?!?! Whats this world coming to???)

Darolls - I had her smogged in Skokie, I live a bit north and east of there. It was much closer than the one in Waukegan.

My next Ferrari is going to have my moms name on the title, registered to her address in central Illinois, where the air is FILLED with smog, as they are not subjected to emissions tests!

9. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

Get an application at the emmissions office and send it in. All you need is to have show car insurance.

I just switched to show car insuranec through my regular carrier and sent it in. That was 3 yrs. ago.

You need to renew the exemption every 2 yrs, but I just did that and everything was fine. No more emmision testing for my car.

Richard

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had to have mine tested twice,now. (Owned her for almost 4 years) Both times,I sat in the passenger seat-all 6'3"-300# of me-with a menacing stare,and reminders that I have NEVER,EVER heard the gearbox scratch yet. Both times,the driver did fine,and I passed with flying colors.

But,don't forget. My car only has 19K miles.and still has the Air Pump and all of that other original Pollution crap on it...:(

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Richard -

Do you think I can apply even after failing??
    How long is the application?
    why can't everyone fill this out and not bother?

12. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I had the show car exemption and the insurance, and they still wanted to test it, said it didn't matter unless it had antique plates. It passed, and this was the Downers Grove testing location.

13. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

Sure, mine failed and that's why I applied.

Everyone can apply. All you need is show car insurance verification. The insurance is restricted to 5k miles/yr., can't use it to commute to work, and some other minor restrictions that don't really matter for my Ferrari. It would not be practical for my Acura.

Richard

14. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

That has not been the case with mine. After I received an exemption 3 yrs. ago I have not had to have it tested.

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    State if ILL site states that

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/forms/show-car.pdf

"if vehicle operated exclusively in organized amateur or sporting activities...
    sporting activities are those which are business, educational, charity, or entertainment for the general public..."

I feel that everytime I drive my car, it is educational for me and the public, and certainly entertaining! Why shouldnt we all get this exemption??

she is scheduled to go to LFSC for a look-see regarding emissions, and pull out few dings. Maybe I should get the exemption? I suppose she will run better if all in tune?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I haven't found an insurance company yet, that would go along with this. My Allstate doesn't offer me limited miles and when I tried two of the usual exotic insurances (one was Haggerty), they had some terms I could not meet (one was car was in locked parking under my sole control).

Anybody have some recommendations?

17. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I have my regular car insurance through USAA. They send it through American Collectors Insurance. There is a web site. It did not cost any more than the regular policy. It's an Antique and Collectible Vehicle Policy. It runs < $600/ yr.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Arrgh! Just read their terms about the garage. I don't qualify.
    :(

19. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu &amp; Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Dave Miller from the FCA handles insurance. I think his info can be had off the local site.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Andreas. We have State Farm,and they insure our 308 for "Agreed Amount" coverage. As in,what I paid for it. If it gets stolen or totalled,we will get that amount. Not "Book Value",which,right now is probably a little less than what I paid 3 1/2 years ago. And,we can always change that if the car happens to go Up in value.

Also,for the past few years,anyway. We have had it insured-FULL Coverage. 100/300K EVERYTHING. Road Service. Flatbed Tow. EVERYTHING. And,if we keep it Under 2500 miles per year,we are paying $145.00 every 6 Months. Over 2500,it would be around $325.00 They acknowlege "Classic" and "Antique"cars.

If not,Check with the "New Guy" Dan,who is a Farmers Insurance Agent.....He just got an '85 308GTSi,and was at the "Rookies" show in St.Charles. A really nice guy.

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Today 100/300k coverage is nothing!

If you get involved in an accident that was deemed your fault, and litigation is brought against you, it would probably bankrupt you!!!!

22. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Andreas,

Where do you keep your car?

Richard

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Down by the river...

Nahh, in a private and locked garage which I share with neighbours. That's the problem: These insurance policies want you to be the one and only person who has access (aside from immediate family members) to the car. And I mean "access" in physical access to the car, not into it. I'm the only one who has a key (it ain't valet parking).That is simply not possible in a city environment (I think Jack and Joel are in a similar situation to name a few).

One could even argue that my car is safer where it is as neighbours keep an eye on it and we have a 24x7 recorded TV surveillance system. Whereas if you leave it in your garage and go on a family vaca, who looks after your car? Also my car is surrounded by cars twice and three times its value, which are also a lot easier to resell. So only an ignorant thief would pick my car.

But you can't argue with insurance droids.
    :(

PS: The ironic thing is, that my reasoning for the limited miles insurance is because of the Collectors plates and avoiding the EPA. But the theft concern (which I don't have at all) is what prevents me from getting that insurance.

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

I suppose...but,thats all that I've ever seen offered by ANY Insurance Company. If you know something we don't,why don't you pass it along,Mister Know it all....:) (said in a "Bullwinkle" voice....:) )

May as well not carry ANY Insurance,if thats the case. Why bother?

But,what I meant,was that some people only opt for 50/100K instead of 100/300K. Which,you are right,"ain't squat" in this day and age.

We just saw a Bently Azure today in Oakbrook. If it's a NEW one,$300K isn't going to cover it....Let alone "Injuries".

Maybe our "resident Chicago FChat Insuranceman" can shed some light on this....Dan,(Farmers Ins. Guy) You back from Hawaii yet?

25. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I believe 250/500 is pretty much the standard minimum.