enzo maintainence | FerrariChat

enzo maintainence

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bostonmini, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Im sure that anyone that is buying an Enzo can certainly afford all the fixes, but just out of curiosity, what does everyone think it will cost to drive at least a few times a week, that is routine service will cost more or less than say, a 575M or a 360? Its tough to imagine it will really require that much more, and on the bright side, I would guess a lot of engine work could be done while its in the car no? Interesting notion, the concept of "I spent so much, Im going to enjoy it no matter what the extra cost" vs "I spent so much, and I better not have to spend much more"

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I was talking to a fellow yesterday about this. He had an Enzo and only kept it for a few months before selling it on. He said that if you drove the car as it's supposed to be driven, you will need $15,000 brakes every 4,000 miles. Plus the $1,000 oil changes and other maintenance. He's a very wealthy guy, obviously, but it still irked him enough to get rid of it in short order.

He owns an F40 and 360 Convertible as well, so he won't miss it much.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The rotors are supposed to last the life of the car. That would mean, pad changes every 4k miles and the pads are probably 3-4 digits each for the Enzo because its an Enzo. Hardly $15k, unless, thats with pads and labor? LOL

Sunny

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I too was under the impression that the rotors were supposed to last a very long time, if not the life of the car. I am not sure if the $15k he was referring to was for replacement of both pads and rotors, or just pads. But he was quite clear that it was costing him $15k every 4,000 miles.

Anyone know how much pads cost, for parts and labour? Rosso? Martin?

5. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    If he had the car for only "a few months before selling it on" then how does he know that the pads would have to be replaced every 4000 miles. There is no way this guy would have put 4000 miles on his car in that time period.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Yeah I agree they're supposed to come with those new ceramic composite that the 911 turbos has. Good for the life of the car. Hmm o well lucky guy at least got to own an Enzo.

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Sorry---No info from me on this on TVR. Do to F-SpA putting all the new parts books (for lack of a better word) online under the dealer site, I can no longer look up parts. :(

8. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I really don't know much about mechanics, but I do know that when Road and Track did the write up on the Enzo....the one where they borrowed that really nice, famous Contractors Enzo....the guy who builds houses, and commercial buildings........it was the photo shoot, where it showed the Enzo next to the firetrucks with water shooting over the top.......anyone remember this?????

Road and Track quoted the brake job at 12,000- 15000 for pads only every 5000 miles..........if you needed rotors it was gonna be about 33000..........

9. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    kinda funny story re enzo maintenance costs... i was in my 996TT and checked the oil which was slightly low. pcar dealer parts dept was already closed so i drove to the fcar dealership. asked what i could put in to tie me over until monday or whenever i got to the pcar dealership (walmarts, targets, pepboys, etc. down here almost never have 0w-40). service mgr said mixing a little of "this" oil would be fine with the mobil1 i currently was using. i said fine, the new parts guy scanned it and had this perplexed look on his face, whispered something to the service mgr who then says, "oh, that price is correct, that's the oil we use in the enzo - $78 a quart".

so at $78/quart, the $1000 oil change sounds about right!

10. hnyc

hnyc Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    That was Car & Driver and yes, he went through a set of rotors and pads by the time they had gotten around to testing it. Per the article: $6k for the pads $24k for the rotors. I'm sure by now if the car is driven as it was prior to the test he's on his third or about to be third set of pads and rotors. Can ANYONE say profit center? Never mind the falling dollar, just keep them buying ceramics and Ferrari is in the black till 2020.

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    This is turning out to be far from true for the PCar boys. Check out the threads on Rennlist and Rennteam boards. Here is just one post:

>>My experience over 60,000 km with the PCCB's is just terrible. As suggested, search here (Rennteam) and on Rennlist. There is lots and lots of discussion of the topic.

What's more, you will likely have trouble getting Porsche to stand behind them if you do have problems. PCCB's are a political hot potato within PAG.<<

Gary

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    From what I have heard so far about ceramic rotors I am not terribly impressed. Sure they work well & cool down very quickly so they should never fade. But a good set of metal rotors from Brembo should perform almost as well at a MUCH lower cost. The ceramic rotors DO wear out & when they do get ready. I spoke to Benn at Shelton Ferrari & he told me that they cost $20k PER CORNER to replace the entire system, rotor, caliper, & pad. Thast $80k for the car. OUCH!!!!
    On an Enzo that cost $700k+ you can almost understand that but on a 360 Stradale or a Porsche 996 GT2 where the car cost around $200k or less thats almost 50% of the cost of the car. Ive heard of people backing out of buying Stradale's because of this. If I ever bought a car w ceramic rotors I think the ifrst thing I would do is to put a nice set of metal rotors on it

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    is it just me, or is anyone else thinking that with that $1K oil change, you should get a blow job too?

well, no not really. especially not from the service writer. but I'm quite sure you don't have to change the oil but once, maybe twice a year on the car. I'm quite sure it isn't as frequent as most cars. and the labor in removing the underbody panel(s) and placing them back up has to take a lot of time. but 78 bucks a quart... ack!

14. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    If I remember correctly, an article in Forza magazine stated it would cost about $7000 for pads.

15. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Well, oil prices have gone up ya know! ;-) And not just a blow, you should get it all for that price!

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few points. Mobil does not make Enzo oil so far as I know the only oil that can be used in an Enzo without voiding warantee is made by Shell and it's $60 not $78.
    There have been 5 recalls so far all under warantee (SCM)
    Ceramic brake MUST be cooled down for a few minutes.
    Very special cars cost $.
    A proper restoration can cost over $1,000,000. Proper maintainence IMHO is well worth it.

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Several comedians have commented on the Enzo, Jay Leno said that if the same design came out as a Trabant nobody would care. Another auto writer stated that an Enzo owner is a person who " would buy anything designed by Pininfarina, even if it looks like my Azz" :)

The Enzo may be fast but she's no beauty queen

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If that's the case, I think I'll buy a Stradale, remove and replace the brake system with aftermaket iron for $20,000. I will then sell all the new Stradale parts for $70,000. I should recapture $50,000 of my Stradale's cost!

19. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    In talking with some Ferrari techs that have driven both cars that are being compared here, there appears to be some mis-information.

It was said in the article that x amount of dollars was spent on the pads and rotors. What was not stated was who paid for that. I am not going to divulge anything greater then that, but I am pretty sure the customer has not had to pay out of pocket for that.

As well, when FNA trained the techs on the Enzo brakes, they handed around 3 rotors asking the techs if they thought the rotor was bad. By looking at it and using a metal rotor as comparison, yes, they looked bad. Carbon has different characteristics then metal, and therefore the wear looks different. The first 2 they passed around everyone (techs) thought were bad, and FNA/Brembo still considered them good. The 3rd was really worn, and was the only one that they suggested being replaced. I know this is vague info, but is it straight from the horses mouth. The brakes on these cars used properly should last 300k for the rotors and a not nearly as long for the pads, but SHOULD have a decent life.

Brembo is VERY intrested in these brakes and what happends to them in daily street driving and in track applications. One thing about Carbon is that it is more prone to wear by using chemicals on the rotors, so no spraying anything (brakeclean-carb etc..) near the rotors.

20. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    didn't say it was mobil, just that the mechanic said it would be ok to mix the "enzo" oil with the mobil1 in my car. it was $77.94 a quart. maybe you have more pull and can get a better deal than me :)

even if i was rich, i still don't think i could stomach these maintenance costs were talking about. i guess another reason i'll never be an enzo owner, haha...

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

TVR Freak,
    Seeing that he's possibly/probably moving to Montana it makes a lot of sense that he sells the car before he moves to wide open ranch country, no?

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    what do you guys think, would it be sacrilege to desicrate one of maranello's finest by slapping on some F50 brakes?:) Wonder if it would work with the abs system? it might actually function BETTER on the street, as I have heard that even on the road versions, these brakes arent perfected, and need to be warmed up...imagine rolling your enzo right into traffic bc you have no brakes!

23. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    A 200k car with 80k brakes, that means only 120k for the rest of the car...
    Reminds me of computer printers, 50 for the printer, 40 for a new cartridge.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Maybe you can see 300k miles for the rotors if your Grandmother drives the Enzo. Bob Rapp, a hard driving FCA member & vintage racer already had to replace all 4 of his rotors with probably a lot less than 50k miles. Of course he drives the H out of his Enzo on race tracks across the US.

Regarding chemicals, make sure you keep your silicome enhanced honies away from these brakes :)

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Two questions:

50k on an Enzo?

Who paid for the rotors?