FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 24 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Many many thought the Honda power unit would never be competitive!

Bas likes this.
  2. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    They'd change their shirt colors and party on.

Just because CL used an unorthodox move doesn't make him a weakling, the guy's driven, smart and clinical. He got mugged by the brawler this time, but I think he's faster than Max, and with time he'll become a dirtier driver, for better and worse. Thus far, Ferrari has clipped his wings more than the competition.

DF1 likes this.
  3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
  4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Horse crap sentiment. He used a similar move on a previous lap where he yielded the inside line to the better-cornering Red Bull and then out-dragged him to maintain the lead using Ferrari's superior power. It was a smart move and Max knew that forcing him off track would eliminate the ability to re-take the lead (again) (referring to the Spanish TV station remark about CL having "no blood")

5. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

Max's a dirtier, more aggressive driver, no doubt. Most of the grid would have been nervous in CL's predicament.
    He was totally cool and collected and used some awesome moves. I think it's a plus neither crashed, actually, but I get your point.

CL's totally driven so I think he'll change. He's definitely learning the hard lessons quickly, Ferrari's holding back, Bahrain engine problem, now the Max punt.
    When he gets his first this season it'll be all the sweeter.

Bumper cars of yore. These things sound like crap nowadays.

6. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    That is amazing racing! Unfortunately in today’s F1 they would end up 19th and 20th post race with 2 minutes of added penalty times, well maybe not, the Williams pair would still be behind, so sad.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bingo...

CL was directly beside MV the entire time...CL is entitled to his position on the track and cannot simply be bumped off the track at the whim of MV -- which he certainly was while exiting the corner. It doesn't matter if Max was taking the proper racing line or not...CL was directly beside Max the entire time and Max cannot simply punt him off the track. Max in that situation must (according to the rules) leave CL a car's width space on the track, which he clearly failed to do. When you are racing in traffic, the racing lines change...Max cannot simply claim that he was following the racing line and contend that CL should have yielded -- CL was entitled to his position on the track in that scenario, IMHO.

Apparently, according to the current official FIA position, Ferrari is damned if they do and damned if they don't....

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Based on Canada FIA decision you are right. But we all disagreed with that. Brundle covers it nicely in his column posted above.

I keep saying it, but GPDA and FIA need to sit together before the next race and resolve this. We can't have all these things sorted via a team of lawyers.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    LOL: New Rule 1/A/subsection A/Paragraph 1, uphold all steward’s decisions unless viewership will decrease immediately thereafter. Subsection B, will make subsequent reparations/allowances/penalty removals for all inexplicable Mercedes losses.

Ferrari 308 GTB and daytona355 like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's only one fortuitous win after many years of failure, so letr's not get all exited here !!!

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's sums up perfectly the situation.

With these shenanigans, Ferrari has lost 2 good opportunities to win.

It looks like the gods are against them ...

12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I guess time will tell whether CL has "blood"; I mean, we ALL know what MV would do given an opening (even an imaginary one) just from watching F1, you would think that CL would have situational awareness. If he was thinking, "The rules don't allow that...", then he miscalculated.

Jack-the-lad and william like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Charles Leclerc tries to drive with a certain ethic, whilst Verstappen has no shame resorting to thuggish behaviour to make his point as he had done in the past.

What happens the day 2 thugs meet on the track doesn't leave much to the imagination: heavy contact, potential accident, possibly injury, and probably a brawl in the pits later on.
    If that's the F1 people want, it's rather sad.

kandi likes this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Someone off track needs to take Max down. Someone on track needs to do the same if F1 won’t step in.

william likes this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The problem is that driving for Ferrari brings a whole raft of baggage in the form of media attention. Difficult to balance aspiration against being to reckless, now if CL rammed MV of the track then the proverbial would have hit the fan!!.

Verstappen is desperate [still trying] to make a name for himself, a "look at me, I'm the best and quickest", he tinkers on the edge of the rules and breaks them, that brings him problems, but also a advantage of a do not care approach and this gets into the other drivers psyche. Already he has the morale advantage.

This will work for him as he doesn't have so much to lose, he won {unfairly} and its forgotten, if he goes to Mercedes he will have to reign in the "I don't care" attitude as Toto Wolf will not stand for that nonsense in a well drilled team.

william likes this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The biggest issue I have is with consistency. If MV is right, then so must have SV been in Montreal. Surely MVs move was more clearly intentional than Sebs was. In fairness, MV showed his colours by siding with Seb, so he is at last consistent.

The optics are bad bc whichever side of the situation Ferrari is on, they seem to be picked to lose.

Hoping the Montreal decision was the last of its kind, and that the new precedent for judging these incidents is based on Austria, no matter who this drivers are. For now, Ferrari takes it up the ass. At least it’s in a year which appears to be a write-off for Ferrari at least.

Let’s face it, Max had the fastest car that day. Ferrari was second fastest.

Objectively, it was the most exciting race in a long time, esp for the battle for first place.

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    NO! He is currently one of the few exciting things to watch in F1. try to be objective.

I want to see more “bad boys”, more risks, more thrills. More drivers like Max, with heart and balls.

I won’t tune in to watch P1and P2 do 70 laps without challenge to get to podium. May as well just watch qualifying only.
    Uncontested greatness of driver and car, is BORING.
    Seeing him go from P2 to 7th then win, was THE most exciting 90min in racing all year! If you can’t enjoy that, then you do not love racing, just flag waving.

Now if they can only get Williams to not finish dead last Every.Single.Race., they may actually have a sport worth watching. No team should always be entitled to win or expected to lose.

Besides, who is going to “take him down off track”? They are all 140lb pansies. Would be like a brawl between drunken leprechauns.

Finlander and jcurry like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It looks like we want to watch 2 different sports here.

Yours is about brutal force and thugery on track , with assorted fisticufs in the pits at the end to settle the issue.
    There are some series like that: demolition derby, some forms of stock-car racing, truck racing is quite violent too

Mine is about a driving skill contest between talented individuals performed over 21 races to decide the winner.
    It's about crowning the most talented driver each year.

People who don't find F1 entertaining enough, are maybe watching the wrong sport.

19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I have no idea where you got the impression i want fisticuffs. I said the exact opposite of that. That is not relevant to racing and the mark of immaturity.

But I do want PARITY and REWARD FOR RISK.
    I don’t care how well someone can finesse a car on a track without another driver trying to usurp them. That’s just qualifying and only half of what racing is about. A race is a battle between the driver and the track as well as other drivers. There is a talent to beating another driver as well as the track.

Otherwise we may as well keep it completely safe and just let the drivers do laps separately and based on times, determine a winner. Is that how the most talented driver is determined?

Or just do E-Sports and watch the most talented fingers and thumbs impress us on a virtual track in a nice, safe, friendly video game.

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I'm not for thuggery on track, and F1 has certainly seen its fair share of close, intense racing over the years without post-race fisticuffs, but I think this comes down to character. Its the same reason why LH has five titles; no one ever said, "you can't do that!" I don't mean verbally, I mean on track. Its a game of chicken to some degree, and once a driver like MV smells hesitation or "weakness", then its game over. And its not easy for people to change their nature...

I'm 360 Canuck and william like this.
  21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It’ll be interesting to see what happens to that specific ICE during the rest of the season.

375+ and william like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #598 william, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    I agree, but it has to be done Under some rules, otherwise it becomes dangerous and unfair.

Many rules have been introduced over the years, like not changing line several times on a straight to stop a follower from overtaking (swerving), not changing line Under braking (Max' speciality), leaving enough room for an opponent to overtake safely, not blocking an opponenr after a pass, not "brake testing" another driver, not MAKING DELIBERATE CONTACT with another car, not forcing an opponent off the track, not respecting track limits, not taking advantage of an off-track excursion to gain a place, not regaining track safelly, not impeding other drivers, etc ... the list is endless

Rules are like elastic bands, you can stretch them to breaking point, and they are often not observed.
    Often the victim is just called a whiner if he mention a wrong move on his radio, whilst the partisan crowd shout "What a guy !!" to the culprit.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Agreed. There are some people who will stand their ground on the track if they feel they are in their right, resist intimidation and not be shy of the conséquences.
    Like one says "they won't take **** from anyone". Montoya was like that, and I thing that Kevin Magnussen may be like that too. There may be others.
    It's often a few bad expériences that forge a stronger personality.

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I get you. However if Ferrari are victim to and losing positions and races to a style of driving that Ferrari themselves are not allowed to do which is exactly what that undescended testicles named Max Ver-only-stoppen-when-I-hit-you has done to win the race then in that case I am emphatically not for it.

I'm 360 Canuck, TonyL and william like this.