430 - How many have had to replace the Steering column "Transmission" link (part 171528) | FerrariChat

430 How many have had to replace the Steering column "Transmission" link (part 171528)

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I was told the U-Joints in mine is starting to wear and that it is a common weak point in the 430 design. I have a few degrees of dead spot in the steering from center where you can feel the rack isn't engaged by the steering wheel. The part isn't cheap and my mechanic did remove the part to check it, so I'm confident replacing this part will fix my problem till it wears out again, but I want to understand how common this issue really is or if it could be related to the previous owner tracking my car with slicks.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Undoubtedly slicks will wear it faster. The same applies to wheel bearings and suspension. Is it a common issue? I don't think so. This is the first case that I've heard on the F430, but conversely these are parts that do wear and sometimes require replacement on all cars in general.

FYI the Challenge cars had uprated suspension arms to cope with the additional load generated by slicks - generally slicks and wider tyres need a bit of consideration before fitment.

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Do you know if the uprated suspension arms were used in the later 430's?