Inside of cam covers | FerrariChat

Inside of cam covers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WaltP, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Just removed the cam covers on my 308GTSi and found what I think might be strange. Inside the rear cover, stuck to the cam cover itself, there was a lot of black. The front cam cover was almost spotless. If this isn't normal what would cause this to happen and what is the fix? As always, thanks in advance.

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I imagine it is just oil residue caused by the combination of moisture, oil, and time. Just scrape it off. Could be caused by short trips. If it took all those years to accumulate, I would not worry about it. I had an old Ford of mine do that years ago. I had been using a certain motor oil in it which I don't use anymore. Never had the problem again after switching oils.

3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    The part of this that I'm trying to get a hold on is why was this mess only in the rear cam cover? It all cleaned off easily.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Wow, do the concours judges remove the cam covers and look inside too? I have to redo mine.

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I hear that they do in some places! But this really was a question I thought someone might have experience with or know why this would happen.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    How much residue is in there? Mine were fairly clean when I changed them the 2nd time. I cleaned them well the first t-belt change and they looked great when I pulled them the 2nd time. Look for little bubbles on the timing belt back, rubber. If you see some then your bearing is on its way out.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Perhaps past mechanics were too lazy to pull the rear cover by the firewall.

Likely only the front cover (visible to the owner looking at the back of the engine and easy for the mechanic to access) was removed & cleaned.

Naw, say it ain't so..... tell me you meant 'front' to mean the one by the firewall.

Rgds,
    Vince

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    WaltP - forgive my not knowing the anatomy of a 308, but in the Dino the chain is tensioned by a paddle with vinyl/rubber contact surface. As this wears, it removes the rubber to go elsewhere. I recently rebuilt a Dino engine where the paddle was essentially hamburger. There was no rubber on the paddle, and the paddle itself looked like it had been attacked with a grinding wheel. All that metal and rubber had to go somewhere.

Is there a comparable tensioner on the side in question, and could debris from this tensioner stain the inside cam cover?

Jim S.

9. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Thanks to all for commenting on this. 308gts, I'm changing the belts and bearings at this time. Vincenzo, I may have it wrong but when I said the underside of the front cover was very clean, I meant front towards the front of the car. The more difficult to remove cover was the clean one. jselevan, there is no rubber under the cam/valve cover. I suspect it has something to do with the pollution control but I'm not sure. Still just trying to find out if this is normal.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks Walt... my faith is restored!
    Rgds,
    Vince

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    When I first pulled my covers they were pretty clean. I then thoroughly cleaned them as I was painting them wrinkle black. Since then I've had them off a couple of times & they just had oil on them, no visable deposits.

Where on the cover were the deposits located?

12. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    The deposits were evenly distributed over the entire cam cover. I now think it is from a hose that looks like a crankcase vent that connects to the cam cover on the clutch end of the engine.

13. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    WaltP, what motor oil have you been using?

ali

14. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Sorry for the delay. I use Castrol GTX 20W50

15. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    You are using the best oil for a 308 IMHO.