Installing new Distributor Cap Boots on Testarossa -- Need Help, Please! | FerrariChat

Installing new Distributor Cap Boots on Testarossa -- Need Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Eric308gtsiqv, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    This one has me a little stumped. Thought it would be straightforward until actually delving into the process...

Just purchased a couple of new black rubber distributor cap boots (old ones were looking a little worn) for the TR, and decided to change them out. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the boots have to first be installed with the plug wires passing through the hole. With each plug wire having both a rectangular cap and extender on one end and connected to a distributor cap at the other, the process looks sort of like trying to fit a "camel through the eye of a needle", so to speak.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming that either the rectangular cap / extender must disconnect somehow from the wire, or the wires must be disconnected from the distributor cap to install (?).

I've never done this on an F-car before, so any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This one: "...the wires must be disconnected from the distributor cap to install..."

Remove the (pointed) screw inside each distributor cap contact -- then the wire can be removed from the cap. (To get to the screw for the coil wire, gently pull out the center carbon brush and conical coil spring.)

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks, Steve, for the reply!

Glad to hear that it's done from the distributor cap end, as this would be most convenient. I'll let you know how it goes...

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thank you, Bryan, for that link you posted...it will be very helpful! Won't be able to tackle this until Sat., but all this info. should make the task fairly easy.

6. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    If you're just putting on a new rubber cover, don't bother disconnecting the center wire, since it's more of a PITA. Just put it through the cover first.

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks, Ric, for the tip on the coil wire! Didn't even think about that, but your advice will certainly save some extra and unnecessary work.

8. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Eric - Ric's advice is sound, but since you have the cap off, and you are removing all of the other wires, it would be wise to remove and clean the coil wire as well.

I suggest that upon removing all of the wires from the distributor cap (after appropriate marking for correct re-installation), you use a sharp wire cutter and clip off 1/2 inch of each wire on the distributor cap end. Spray the pointed screws and wire ends with silicone,, and reinstall. These ends tend to disintegrate over time with subsequent increase in resistance. The reason I suggest removing, clipping, and siliconing the coil wire is that it is the only common conductor for all cylinders. You may clean 12 contacts, but if the coil wire is bad at the end, it is all for nought.

Jim S.

9. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I agree.

Once you get everything wired up, test for conductivity through every wire before you put the distributor cap back on the body. I had to re-do a couple of them.

Not the best of designs to use screw that must penetrate the insulation and contact a small, small wire to ensure current flow.

10. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When I was replacing the ignition wires on my car I dropped one of those screws. It rolled into a somewhat open expansion joint in the driveway, no way to retrieve it. :( Having done this process before on English cars, I dug out an old Austin Healey distributor cap. Sure enough, the screw was exactly the same and worked perfectly. Most of the BMC cars of the '50's & 60's use this system. I am sure that one could buy several cases of Lucus distributor caps for the price of a few replacement screws at a Ferrari dealer (if even available seperately).

11. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Just a quick follow up, and a big thank you to everyone for they're help and advice on this one!

I ended up removing the distributor caps (with coil wires still connected) and cleaned them up before reinstallation. Also, I made certain that each brass screw was wrapped in masking tape and numbered to match its corresponding cap number. On the driver's side, I wrote down the plug wire #'s and their corresponding cap #'s as well.

Before reinstalling the brass screws, I lightly sanded the pointed tips -- and lightly sanded the tip of the rotor buttons as well.

Putting everything back together was a minor task, especially feeding all those plug wires back through the small hole in the rubber boot. Also, stretching the boots back over the cap, etc. took some effort -- but it sure looks nice and fresh with new rubber boots installed. While I was at it, decided to wipe down all the plug wires with WD-40, and now they're glowing red again.

Climbed in, turned the key, and VROOOM -- another task completed.

12. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Climbed in, turned the key, and VROOOM -- another task completed.[/QUOTE]

Hey Eric, congratulations! :)

Where did you get your boots?

13. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Thanks Gabriel!

I purchased the boots from Ferrari of Central Florida 407-667-4300 (ask for Doug in Parts Dept.). Think I paid $34.00 per boot for a total of $68.00.