Lottery winner dies in accident hours after show | FerrariChat

Lottery winner dies in accident hours after show

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrari, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Now I don't feel so bad that I didn't win tonight . . .(Well, I forgot to play . . )

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/01/24/lottery.death.ap/index.html

ELWOOD, Indiana (AP) -- A man who won $57,000 in an Indiana lottery game taped for television died hours later after being hit by a pickup truck.

The "Hoosier Millionaire" featuring Carl D. Atwood, 73, was broadcast Saturday night after his family said they wanted the show to go on, Hoosier Lottery director Jack Ross said.

The broadcast concluded with a photo of Atwood accompanied by text reading: "In memory of Carl Atwood."

Atwood won the money Thursday during a two-hour taping in Indianapolis.

"I am very thankful," he said on the program. "I must admit that I never expected to be leaving the show with this amount of money. Now I can purchase a very nice car."

Hours later, Atwood was hit by a truck as he walked to the grocery store where he bought the winning ticket near his home in Elwood, about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis. He died at a hospital.

The driver has not been charged.

Atwood would have been among those invited back to compete for a $1 million grand prize in three weeks.

"We will work with the family to make arrangements on how to handle the championship show," Ross said. "We will certainly have a place on that show for someone who the family chooses to take his place."

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i use to watch taht show all the time with my grandma when i was younger. Its a sad thing to hear.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    So many sagas of strange twists of fate lately.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This, my friends, is why you should just finance a used Ferrari NOW and enjoy it before your time comes.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    sucks.

But at least he didnt win the big lottery ..like 100 millions $ +.
    Somehow in a strange materialistic way , it would suck more.