Lotus Evija | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lotus Evija

Discussion in 'British' started by Tony K, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    As good as they are on track, a mountain road is where the 400 shines, and I disagree with the overbooked steering unless they run higher pressure in the US version. Along with the other US tweets.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The 400 is a real (useable) car in the way a elige is not. I just think that while an elige is a usp, the evora is swimming in far deeper pool with arguably equivalent or better choices. Cayman Gt4 coems to mind or even a 911T, plus the new corvette depedning on how it drives.

Lotus msitake witht he evora was makign a heavier 2+2 in the naive belief they could take on porche. They would have done much ebtetr with a shorter 2 seater that weighted well under 3k lbs and started witht he 400 motor.

If you dont have the $ to fully develop a car(which is lotus) then you have to make something no one else does. Im not aware that Us and other market evora 400's are different, although we dont get the 430.

3. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #28 au-yt, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    LOTUS have only made 10,000 plus cars in total, that is all the cars they have made from year dot.
    LOTUS cars are hand made which adds a lot to the build cost but this is set to change which is in some way a shame.
    As for the GT4, sorry I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, so much for Porsche's Engineering when the front struts snap.
    Ive had a two 911's a 2.4S and a 993 C2S tiptronic ( My biggest motoring disappoint ever). The EVORA to me is like the 73 S simple and easy to look after, fing quick, yes the EVORA is heavier, as most cars are due to crash structures. Another this LOTUS now quote wet weights other companies still don't .

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You’re preaching to the choir I have two lotus and pretty much don’t drive anything else. Or everything else feels like a pickup truck. Spent maybe 4 hours in my Elsie yesterday exploring backroads, and frankly in something Else it would have been a chore not a pleasure.

Therein lays my critique of the Evora, it’s too much like a porche, a ltiile too big, a little too soft, a little too isolated and heavy. Yes that’s what makes it so Much more useable but a lot gets lost In terms of the lotus usp.
    If you know or you should know that you can’t make a better porche then don’t, do what you do best.

IMO the car lotus should have built was the alpine 110, it’s civilized enough to work as a “car” year has the lightness and directness not to mention compliance that are hallmarks of a lotus. It’s also a very successful car being sold out for years, so the light and lithe formula has appeal and can be done well in terms of 21st century expectations. That to me is the pool lotus should be fishing in. Trying to be a porche or Ferrari competitor is wjeee lotus has serially failed through its history and wasted resources.

The company exists today because of the exige, that’s where they should start and CPA obligate their position. It’s especialy apt at the works is going “green” or non wasteful and tue elige is the perfect formula
    As we see in the a110 not to mention it’s the space lotus owns.

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Really???
    I better you:
    Wagyu steak #5 tastes better then Spam......:rolleyes:

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hmmm, I don't know what to say. I think my Lotus 400 has better suspension than my 458, or all of my previous Porsche GTs. The steering feel rivals that of Mcl 720s that I test drove for an hour. The power definitely can be more, but the car is pretty fast in my books. I don't think Evora is like a porsche at well. Not at all isolated.

Granted this is my first Lotus. Which other two Lotus did you have?

I suggest you go test drive any recent new porsche, you will instantly know what I mean and makes you appreciate companies like Lotus which, in my book, is still creating a very much authentic sports car, as much as the safety regulations allows.

sainthoo likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah I’ll agree on porche feeling isolated and easy, effortless would be the complimentary word.

lotus I have is a an Elise for road and a exige v6 cup for track. To me the Elise is the perfect car, it’s does it all. Even compared to the v6 cup the Elise has a balance delicacy of feel and harmony of forces that just makes it something incredible special. For ct backroads it is a machine that to drive is perfection.

I suppose in comparison to the Elise or exige an Evora feels too soft overboosted and isolated, too much like other cars whereas an Elige platform is a total lotus usp. For road as a daikybi see how an Evora works.

I get the elige has limited appeal but it’s also kept lotus afloat for the last 20 years because it’s sonething no one else offers and is pure lotus usp. Lotus imo will not win trying to take on Porche or mclaren, it’s not what lotus does best and that space is taken.

The Evora to me should have started with the 400 and been evolved from there. It also has no need being a notional 2+2 all that did was add weight and wheelbase. Essentially I’m saying is yes an elige is too hard for many and bigger more useable car has appeal. For the same effort as the current Evora lotus could have built a bigger car than an Elise but without the notional 2+2, therefore a shorter and lighter car that would have been its own thing existing in a space no one else is in and probably been more successful, Than thinking they could chase porche.

The 458 I have mixed feelings about. At regular speeds it feels overboosted and slow to respond. But at 9/10 or above it’s really got it going on. Plus it’s simply the most appealing modern design
    (Along with the previous am v8) of the past few decades. Pninfarnina at its finest and puts to bed the notion that modern cars can’t look great and harmonious because of regulation. Can’t say the cars that followed have that same excellence of design.

I think lotus will give us some purist cars and use that cred as a foundation to charge big premiums for their suv offerings which may be Volvo’s underneath.

If lotus can offer a car like the alpine 110 then You have a great road car that works in modern traffic and is comfortable yet it’s fast and light on its toes. Way more relevant attainable and appealing than a 1000 hp electric stunt. Electrics pinifarina rebodied a rimac cool.

IloveGT and 95spiderman like this.
  9. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    The Evija is gorgeous. Yes, a bit Ferrari inspired up front and so on but the end result is excellent. Something to dream of while I enjoy my lowly C4 Corvette :D

10. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Saw it in the flesh at Pebble last week. They were saying 2.5 million there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2000 HP and recharges from empty to full charge in 18 minutes! Pretty impressive.

jjason981 likes this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Good info and agree...Lotus has always been a niche market and should have tried to stay within its focus.
    I’ve owned several Elise’s, standard and track-prepped, a couple Exige S260’s and a 211. My favorite auto company by far. But it’s been on life support and how will a hypercar bring it back?
    Lotus lost it’s core focus and values...Colin Chapman: add lightness. This was fundamental to All of his cars.
    But with auto evolution I understand that it would never survive the HP war all other brands are fighting today.
    Maybe this hypercar does something for Lotus...but electric??
    Colin is rolling in his grave.
    I’ll pick up another Elige some day....

Sent from my 16M

13. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Here’s an overview by SuperCarBlondie on YouTube:

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    No it doesn’t appear small or typical of any current production Lotus. It is a vast departure from the ordinary Lotus. It’s beautiful in person.

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

Flash G likes this.