Maserati "Birdcage" Tipo 60/61 | FerrariChat

Maserati "Birdcage" Tipo 60/61

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Peter, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #1 Peter, Mar 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone have detailed photos of the frame of these cars?

I have a blueprint of the frame, but it is of the prototype, and the rear structure is different from the cars built after it. I'd like to know what the frame looks like of these "production" cars (if you call 17 cars a production). I realise that not one of these cars are alike and that some frames will be different, but that's okay. Its just to get an idea.

Thanks.

The photos below are from when I was at Silverstone in England, back in 2001. Naturally, I took plenty of photos of the front/engine bay, but not of the trunk. It's this area that I'd like to see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #2 Boudewijn, Mar 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    This is the "trunk" area of 2461, from C&S 6/98, and a portion of Allington's cutaway drawing from Sportscar Graphic 6/60. Any help?

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thank you gentlemen, they all are helpful.

Jeff, I too have a cut-away drawing by Shin Yoshikawa but its no where near the detail you have posted of this one. Thank you (as always! ;) ).

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    As an aside, hard to believe that huge gas tank is only held down by bungee cords... Amazing... Only then!

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Hi, Peter: I'm surprised that a Yoshikawa cutaway would NOT be about as good as you could possibly expect! I have the Allington cutaway as shown, and another cutaway (uncredited) from SCG 11/12 59. I also found a couple of pictures of the bare frame. What are you up to, making a bird cage that looks like a Birdcage???

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Well, it isn't (at least to my standards), hence my post here asking if anyone had details...

Ha ha, yes, its in the plans. Actually, I've recently obtained a finite element analysis program and I'd like to plug in a design of this frame and see how well it'll perform (and improve it if need be)... Just fooling around. Maybe some results will come out of it...

I'd appreciate seeing some of these other diagrams/photos you have.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If you're wondering, the blueprint I have (not the Shin drawing) is from the Archivio Maserati Ltd Ed book published back in '98 (that book is an awesome account of the Maserati history!).

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Cutaway drawings REALLY suffer when they are reduced to 640 pixels. I seem to remember seeing another drawing somewhere, but I don't have time to look for it tonite.