Moving to San Diego Area - Help? | FerrariChat

Moving to San Diego Area - Help?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by CAS, May 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Hi all,

I just graduated and have accepted a position with Gallo Wineries in Southern California. I start on June 23. I am looking for (rental) housing between downtown San Diego and La Jolla and am leaning heavily towards La Jolla for several reasons - the closer to the beach the better.

I've exhaustively searched Craigslist and that has been somewhat effective. I am driving out to San Diego tomorrow and am staying until Sunday to look for a place to live. Anyone have any good leads/resources on how to find housing? Anyone have anything for rent in that area? I'd love to hear about it. Looking to spend a max of 1800/mo.

Thanks so much -- looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Clint Sever

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    La Jolla is big time expensive! Are they paying you that much? Try Carlsbad or Encinitas a little farther away from the beach. I'm quite familiar with that area as I use to own a beach house in Leucadia, and my daughter lived down there while attending San Diego State for 4 years. But that whole area is somewhat pricey. I don't have any connections for you, just advice.

3. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    To be frank, no, I am not being paid "that much". But I have been advised by the company to stay in the area that I listed because of territory reasons, so Carlsbad and Encinitas are out. But between Pacific Beach and La Jolla, it might be $100 to $200/mo more, but the area and places are much nicer..

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate any and all advice you local guys have.

4. kpflynn

kpflynn Rookie

Jan 31, 2008
    Just for your information, as I used to live in Pacific Beach...

If you really want to live the "beach" experience, you pretty much have to go to PB. The houses there, while not nearly as nice as those in La Jolla, are generally within walking distance to the beach and it's definitely a beach community atmosphere.

La Jolla, on the other hand, is a fairly large area and you may not - and probably won't be for $1800/mo - be anywhere remotely close to the beach. Even if you were, "beach" has a different meaning there - most of La Jolla is on the cliffs overlooking the ocean, not necessarily a beach you can go down and hang out at. It's definitely not a community there like PB is.

That being said, PB is not for everyone. I got sick of it after about a year and moved out to the Poway area. There is constant partying and traffic there. The summers and holidays it gets VERY crowded. Anyways, I'm probably about your same age (graduated a couple of years ago) and would be happy to answer any more questions you may have. I've always used craigslist to find my rentals, by the way.

5. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    #5 CAS, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017