New Pedals Installed Today On TR | FerrariChat

New Pedals Installed Today On TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by khayes, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    #1 khayes, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I installed a new set of pedals today on my Testarossa. Wow! These really dress up the interior quite a bit. My 14 year old daughter took a look and said "those are nice Dad, but when are you putting in a Titanium Shift Knob and some chrome rims?".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Those look great!! I see you also have the "dead pedal" too! I purchased mine from Hill Engineering and love them, but at that time they did not yet make a dead pedal. Where did you get those? They not only look great but also offer better safety and stock pedals as your feet are much less likely to slip off.

3. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I ordered these pedals from Ultimate Pedals out of Florida. I think the dead pedal is a new item for them too. It was about $175 after shipping. I installed them myself in about 2 hours. My original rubber pads were glued on to the pedals. It took a while to remove them and clean up. My accelerator pedal was bent forward. I guess someone has a lead foot. I really like these.

4. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    OK, time for a stupid question. I drive barefooot most of the time. Do any of you with the aluminum pedals do the same? And the stupid question, does it hurt your feet?

I'd love to put a set on my 348, but not if they hurt.

Thanks!

-John

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I was looking at those cool pedals myself! They look great. My wife bought me the shifter lock that Ultimate Pedals sells for $69.00. Great product! Nice aluminum job that locks the car in reverse to deter theft and keep somebody from accidentally knocking it into neutral.

Birdman

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    That is what I need, a dead pedal for my 308.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought the challenge pedals from an F-dealer and the dead pedal from Ultimate. The overall pedal feel is better, which isn't that surprising for clutch/brake/gas, but I was very surprised that the dead pedal actually feels much better because it prevents your foot from sliding around -- and the difference isn't subtle. However, one issue I found with the dead pedal is that it is fairly thick and the can grab the edge of your shoe since the footwell is very narrow anyway. I will probably bevel the front edge to minimize the interference -- this won't be visible because the offending edge faces the floorboard.

8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I got the smooth surfaced gas pedal. You can get it smooth or coarse. I haven't driven barefoot yet but just handling them with my hands during installation they felt better than the rubber pads.

9. Philippe

Philippe Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Brussels, Belgium
    Bought mine from Paul Hill. Very pleased with my purchase. For info, I damaged the rubber when I removed them from the pedals. In case I have to revert to the original mounting I have purchased new rubbers. Price is 9,38 euros + taxes per pedal... Philippe.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    John - I drove barefoot yesterday and the aluminum pedals were comfortable. I only drove about 5 miles, so I don't know how they would be for extended use, but if you typically drive barefoot, I can't imagine that they would be uncomfortable -- they felt great to me. They might get cold during the winter and/or hot during the summer if the car is parked outside for a long time.

11. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Perfect! Looks like I need to place another order with Mr. Hill.

Just yesterday, I took my rubber pedal covers off, just to check them out, and see what might be involved in the aluminum pedal install. It looks like you have to drill 2 holes in each pedal, is that about it? For those that installed the dead pedal, how did you remove the old one? It may be obvious, but I haven't looked yet.

Thanks!

-John

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes Bigbaddad....simply drill holes where needed. About the dead pedal...I too would like to know how it is installed. I definately want one! I installed pedals from Hill Engineering last year and they are great, but a dead pedal will really finish off the foot well area.

13. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    John/Jeff,

The 348 stock dead pedal consist of a rubber pedal stuck over a thin steel pedal that is fixed with some self-tapping screws. Once those two items are off, you just need to place the new dead pedal in position and drill 2-4 holes with a 4.5mm drill. The taptite screws we supply will form their own thread within the drilled hole.

Simple :)

John - have a look in the "parts & service" section here on f-chat - there is the install guide for the pedals listed there.

Cheers

Paul

14. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Do you have a phone # or web link for Ultimate ? I can't seem to find either one.

15. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Ultimate Pedals website is www.ultimatepedals.com or you can call 516 451-2623.

Rob

16. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    The phone number is 561 451-2623.

Rob

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #17 Chiaro_Slag, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks great - Here are my pedals from Hill Engineering :

I'm put in new carpet after this pic & will then install the dead pedal over the carpet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Wow! That is amazing how much differrence those pedals make to your car. I noticed you removed the seat to install them, that definitely would have made for a more comfortable job. Looks fantastic!

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I didn't remove the seats for the pedal - I am currently re-dyeing all the leather, replacing the carpet, and re-doing the rear deck liner material in leather rather than fabric.

I am about 3 weeks into this month long project. Should be done in a week or two. So far, I have the carpet in and have all the leather re-dyed.

I have left to do:

Reinstall the doors, center console, and seats.
    Re-wire the stereo (I took it out while removing old alarm, telephone, and CD changer wiring.)
    Install leather on rear deck liner.

I didn't anticipate doing this much when I started - Just wanted to re-dye the seats. Once I started though, I just couldn't stop. :)

20. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    I am in the process of installing Paul Hill's dead pedal. What sized drill bit did you use? It says to use a 4.5mm, but Lowe's (and I'm assuming Home Depot) only carries English sized drill bits. Would a 5/32" or a 3/16" work with the M5 taptite screws? I emailed Paul just now, but thought I'd ask here also.

Thanks for any help -

John

21. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Well, Paul never ceases to amaze me with his great service. He just emailed me. For those of us without the metric system, we can use an 11/64" drill bit to install his dead pedal.

-John

22. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
  23. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Paul -

The only drill bits I've seen here are the fractional ones (1/4", 3/8"...). Someone else may know more about it though.

BTW - I am hoping to finish the install tonight, so I'll let you know how the 11/64" bit works out for the dead pedal.

-John