News item: Ferrari to park showroom on Park Avenue | FerrariChat

News item: Ferrari to park showroom on Park Avenue

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by djs308, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I saw this article in the NY Post Wednesday morning.

http://www.nypost.com/business/5050.htm

VERY interesting. Now, why would Ferrari want or need a showroom for DISPLAY only? And to put it on Park Avenue in NYC... I don't get it. They have years long waiting lists on all their cars. So what is the purpose of a showroom that is not used to SELL their cars? Are they planning on charging admission, perhaps? Or sell some Ferrari branded merchandise?

Not that I'm complaining as I'd be in the line to go check it out. I just can't figure out their motivation to do this. Anybody have the inside scoop?

2. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Advertising is never, ever bad -- especially when your parent company is billions of dollars in debt and small percentages of your company are being sold and rehashed like hotcakes. ;)

What I don't like is the first line of the article,
    What the hell? That sounds inherently fruity to me...

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The article said that the showroom is for display purposes only......Imagine some wealthy individual spots a car he wants and is told that he will have to wait for them to contact another dealer in order to locate a saleman. Seems strange to me!

4. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    LOL Richard!

That's cool, I'll be going to check that out, along with the porsche, aston martin, rolls royce, mclaren(there's is pretty much just for display puroposes too?), mercedes, maybach, mini.....probably some I've forgotten....Park Lane is heaven for a car enthusiast!

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    BMW operated the BMW Gallery directly across the street from the Waldorf Astoria for a number of years before turning it into a company owned dealership. When it was first opened they used it to display many of their older vintage cars, race cars, art cars and such. They usually put in themed displays. Once while I was there they had the art cars on display and on different days brought in some of the artists who painted them.

Also used for private functions, receptions and such. It was quite an attention getter.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    At 645K a year it cheap for advertising esp. as they may float the co. soon. Good idea.

7. Gman

Gman Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 15, 2003
    York, PA
    Does anyone know the expected date that this showroom is to open? I will be in the City first week of March to see a show and would love to stop by.

John

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    My initial reaction was, "what a waste of $645k a year", but it's actually a good idea. You see, they can get people all excited about the cars and the marque without having to turn inventory every month. They just want to showcase their products without the hassle of managing a car lot and delivering cars to customers. From a marketing stand point the showroom makes total sense, but not from a financial perspective considering how much debt they're already in.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Debt?

10. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I was under the impression that Fiat is in debt, no? After all, Fiat is selling of parts of the company and restructuring.

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The FIAT you're referring to is a different Co. and it's debt is not Ferrari's. Ferrari's debt/equity ratio is quite healthy.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Given the tourist numbers in Manhattan, sounds good.

But I'm surprised they wouldn't arrange some orders from there, but they probably have to honor their dealers in the area. Maybe they'll eventually lease out desk space to a high-bidding local dealer.

But what they REALLY need to push are Maseratis!

I think it's time for some television advertising. 97% of people couldn't even tell you if Maserati is still around or not, let alone visually identify any Maserati product (people see a Porsche and can recognize it as a Porsche, even if they don't know the model). They have to hook them while they're young.

13. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    Chinetti use to be at 59th and 2nd years ago. I use to stare at the cars there when I was a kid. That was Ferrari's first in Mahattan

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I'll let you know the first week this Ferrari showroom opens. I live in Manhattan and will take pictures of the place while driving there in my 360 Modena :)

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, at least Ferrari sells cars.

McLaren had such a display with a McLaren F1 in London in 2001... unfortunately there was nobody there for me to ask: "Thanks for being here... but... why are you here??" ;)

16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Hey Brian, I hear there is a Grigio Titanio CS going in the window right away! ;)
    Sorry, just hadn't heard update...hope you get it soon.
    Lee

17. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Lived in NYC (upper east side) for a year. I think it will be good to have one there, except where to take for a test drive??

18. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    The McLaren Park Lane display is still there. Occasionally the display car gets switched. Weeks go by with the door closed, then it's left up and open for a while, then the engine bay cover goes up instead... then... then... that's how they ring the changes at McLaren

19. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Isn't it just the XP40 prototype(the only one that could actually go 240mph) that stays there? How many cars does the official dealership sell a year? They respray and retrim to whatever colour you like when you buy a used one from them!