OT; Which Electrical provider do you use ? | FerrariChat

OT; Which Electrical provider do you use ?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by LightGuy, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Our contract with Reliant is ending soon.
    Looking around for a decent provider with no hidden games.
    A quick search turned up rates as low as $.09 KWH but I am leery.

2. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    I am paying $.112/KWH with TXU but I am afraid that is about to come to an end!

3. Ferrari Rebel

Ferrari Rebel Karting

Dec 27, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Rebel
    YEP Energy seems to be the lowest when I signed on online a few months ago. No problems so far except lower electric bills.

4. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I work for an Energy Supplier that sells in Texas as well as 10 other states. I have large and medium sized commercial customers in Dallas and Houston paying as low as 7.5 cents per kWh. You have to add about another penny per kWh to that to cover TDSP fees and also add something for taxes. The total price is still below 9 cents. You can find a complete list of suppliers at www.powertochoose.org which is a part of the ERCOT web site. I would offer to help you out but my company doesn't sell residential.

5. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    I was looking at these people. Did you have to sign a contract? What did they quote you for your rate?

6. Ferrari Rebel

Ferrari Rebel Karting

Dec 27, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Rebel
    I found them through www.powertochose.org also. At the time that I looked a few months ago, they were the cheapest @ 9.5 cents per kWh. Not sure what it is now. I signed a one year contract eventhough you can go month to month. Beware of companies that offers month to month only since it might be low now, typically the summer months the rates will be the highest and this is when you use the most and this is where they gets you. Hopes this help. I would check www.powertochose.org and enter your zip code and see which company is the lowest for now. Hard to compare with commercial accounts on the rates since that largely depend on the number of megawatt and the terms of the contract and the commission structure of the aggregator.
    This is recent the commercial rate : http://www.puc.state.tx.us/electric/rates/RESrate/rate08/Jan08Rates.pdf. Very hard to get 7.5 cents during this time of year unless you are a huge commercial account.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    GEXA offers 9.3 cents for the variable plan and 13 cents for the annual. Gexa also has double airline mile programs.
    In your opinion is it safe to go with the variable as it seemed it was at about 9 cents 6 months ago when I first started shopping.
    There is no gas here and my house was built for looks by the previous owner not energy efficiency. Tired of the big bills.

8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I think Gexa does a good job in the residential arena. We are sitting here in the Spring with oil at $110 per barrel and natural gas at $10 a Therm and electricity at $10 per MWh (10 cents per kWh). Now is not the time to lock in to a long term fixed rate. Normally, this is the best time of year to make a long forward purchase because prices are usually the lowest. If I had to make a decision today I would float month to month or take a variable priced product that is tied to the indexes rather than fixed pricing. It will be uncomfortable this summer but it gives you the opportunity to shop again when and if prices drop in the Fall. A better option is to see if you can find a supplier that offers pools and join an existing pool that was priced out earlier in the year. There is a very good chance that prices will drop in the next week or two so leave yourself poised to strike a deal when you see oil and gas prices tumble a little further than they have yesterday and today.