Paper Distributor Tester - It Works! | FerrariChat

Paper Distributor Tester - It Works!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Oct 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just overhauled my 308 distributors - new points, new condensors, new cam seals and adjusted the new points with this paper tester. Also cleaned and adjusted the centrifigul advance mechanism.

Put the distributor on top of an empty coffee can, aligned this template on top of the distributor and attached a chirpping ohmmeter.

It works!

Now onto the carburetors.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many, many years ago Ferrari had a tool much like that and you are correct it works quite well. However the newest of those distributors are quite old now and I don't often see them come in with the advance mechanisims working properly. If yours have been checked/repaired on a machine in recent years and known to be correct then that tool is all you really need.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool idea Don....but on the 308's you have two distributors and you need to synch both timing curves and you need to set both timing curves relative to each other for the "right" performance right? I'm with rifle driver. I have seen very few of those set-ups really be right and to my knowledge there are no parts to set-up the adva mechanismz with either. Ols timers just have a huge box of old parts and they swap them in an out like a black art. I don't think just clean and lube of the weights and soprings is enough to assure the proper curve.