PPI Results for E487 MWP Ferrari Testarossa sharing to help any buyers | FerrariChat

PPI Results for E487 MWP Ferrari Testarossa sharing to help any buyers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by SavagePower, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SavagePower

SavagePower Rookie

Jul 10, 2019
    UK
    PPI Results for E487 MWP Ferrari Testarossa sharing to help any buyers
    Red over Crema, red carpets, black dash Testarossa

I have been hunting for a Testarossa for the past few months and walked away from one because it needed work. The owner didn't think was necessary to have a PPI done but I did anyway, glad I did! Seller also failed to mention (until the PPI had been completed) that the car had a 10 year gap in its history.

All invoices to back up KM milage, although no service book. Here is the PPI for anyone to read, hope it helps you. I paid for the PPI so may as well share and get it's value used by someone other than me.

It was a 20 year+ experienced Ferrari tech who did it. Very thorough. Would very much recommend him, he was absolutely integral to me getting the best car which I did in the end (not the one on this PPI). PM me and I'll share the Ferrari Tech contact details.

I ended up with a superb car from Foskers. Jeff Fosker was superb too. Great guys at Foskers! Feel free to ask any questions, I'll help where I can.

PPI done on Ferrari Testarossa Registration Plate: E487 MWP

Please see below the report for the Ferrari Testarossa.
    Ferrari Testarossa. UK vehicle with Km speedo head unit, originally intended for import to New Zealand.
    Reg number. E487 MWP
    Engine number.
    Vin Number. ZFFAA17C000077054
    GearBox number.
    Mileage. 34832 Kms
    Reg Date. 09/06/1988
    Inspection date 14/04/2020

Interior & Bodywork

- Book pack and service book missing. Service history is with vehicle but via invoices only and has a large gap in between servicing Years 2001-2011??
    - Toolkit missing, new jack kit has been ordered by current owner.
    - x 2 keys supplied with vehicle, 1 original key and 1 after market key.
    - passenger seat belt badly twisted and frayed slightly.
    - Passenger side inner window trim in poor condition.
    - Slight wear marks on drivers seat bolster.
    - Both passenger and drivers windows slow and lazy in operation.
    - Slight discolouration on top section of dashboard and some rippling in the leather.
    - Original Goodyear tyre sticker in glove box.
    - Drivers side speaker panel loose and insecure.
    - Stereo powers on but was unable to hear any sound.
    - Overall condition of interior is good. A few marks and signs of wear as I would expect to to see on a 32 year old vehicle.
    - Slight play in both seat back mechanisms.
    - Air conditioning blows cold but would benefit from a re-gas.
    - Front luggage lid gas struts unserviceable and require replacing. they don’t support lid.
    - Rear engine lid gas struts weak and require replacing.
    - Visually inspected front fuse board for condition, It looks ok and didn’t see any signs of burning out when inspected. Common fault.
    - Tyres are dated Year 2000, They’re hard and starting to crack in places.
    - Paint peeling off both front alloy wheel rims and a small chip on LHR alloy wheel.
    - 1 x wheel bolt rusty on RHR wheel.
    - Small pot dent on LHR wing near passenger door grills.
    - Both front doors have been painted .
    - Front bumper has been repaired and painted due to what looks like stone chips.
    - Both front wings have been painted.
    - 2 x self tapping screws missing from bottom edge of front bumper and LHF inner wheel arch panel has some fixings missing as well.
    - Windscreen seal on bottom RH corner is loose and insecure.

mechanical/Electrical
    - Handbrake shoes binding when handbrake lever released.
    - Both front brake callipers sticking after brief drive, suspect lack of use has led to partial seizure?
    - Would recommend all four brake pipe flexible hoses are replaced on next major service due to age & corrosion around feral unions.
    - Surface rust on all 6 suspension springs, I’ve advised this as they are prone to snapping. Rear suspension has 4 shock absorbers.
    - All front/rear upper and lower suspension wishbone bushes split and perished, Please note! These are not urgent as the vehicle has recently passed it’s MOT.
    ( No play in any of the bushes but the rubber sections of the bushes have deteriorated over time hence why I’m flagging this )
    - Cam belt cover plastic back plates cracked and in poor condition.
    - Oil leak from rear section of gearbox. Not excessive.
    - Oil leaking via cam cover seals towards front and rear of cylinder heads.
    - There is a heavy oil leak around the oil drain off pipe on the left bank cylinder head cam cover area, this has leaked over the front left engine mount and I would highly recommend this is investigated and rectified asap.
    - Vehicle is due a belt service this year.
    This Vehicle has had belt changes 1994, 1997, 2001 ( gap in servicing ?) 2011, 2014 & 2017. due now
    Clutch last replaced 2001 @23979kms
    Overall the vehicle is a nice example but needs some attention in certain areas however the gap in servicing and the lack of service book is a concern.
    I hope this gives you all the information you need, Any concerns or questions please feel free to call me

Qavion likes this.
  2. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I had a similar report when I bought mine 5 years ago. It's good to have a third party review a car especially one that's not cheap to repair usually. However, unlike you I purchased the car as it was priced right at the time. It was a good purchase. I presume this one is RHD. Do you mind revealing the asking price?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    A fluff ppi.

Gas analysis?
    Compression check?
    Oil analysis (engine and gearbox)?
    Coolant checked for oil?
    Oil checked for coolant?
    Water pump drain hole checked - clear and dry?
    All electrical devices checked for originality and function?
    Etc
    Etc

sherrillt, turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What’s wrong with that report? Sounds like a driver, nothing catastrophic... lots of those things get fixed during the major...

The tone of your post sounds like someone tried to pull one over on you, or it’s a horrendous car...

Not cool to post someone’s plate or VIN, imho...

10 year gap in records? Who cares, must be a British thing...

sherrillt and turbo-joe like this.
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This ppi isnt that bad. What you have is what you have. Offer a reasonable price or find another. I don’t follow the whole “records werent entered into a book” thing, is that a UK thing? Here (US) any records are great.

Also, the ten year gap in records kinda stinks but doesnt change the condition its in now. That said I’d rather the gap be earlier in the history of the car. I have nothing on my car through 1999 but after that I have everything, makes life easier.

hopefully someone can use this info to make a reasonable offer on the car. Many TR’s are just like this.

sherrillt and turbo-joe like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this PPI for me is missing 2 larger things:
    compression test and exhaust gas analysis
    I think it is a normal driver without any serious problems what could be done at the next major
    only problem I see would be the oil leaking from the gearbox ( diff ? )
    so it would be all only a question of the price

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Walk away, red carpet a no go for me!! LOL!! Seriously, If you read that PPI nothing on the car was without needs! The only good thing was the "overall the condition of the interior is good"

SavagePower likes this.
  8. retinaldoc

retinaldoc Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    DFW
    Hello brain trust. I'm in the same boat looking for a Testarossa. Here is a PPI of one in the Dallas area. If I read this correctly there may be some more issues on this car as it appears there may have been some bodywork though the Carfax is clean? Please give me your wisdom. I plan on speaking to the Mechanic tomorrow but this was just emailed to me. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    out of curiosity, how much is it? I ask as my 87 is in great shape and curious what the current market is....

10. retinaldoc

retinaldoc Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    DFW
    $149,500. There are a couple of other flying mirrors out there for sale at $165,000-169,000.
    I do see dual mirror TR's around 125K depending on the quality.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Cool...

Be aware tires are hard to get, took me 6 months of waiting until production rolled around. And I’m not talking metric tires either...

12. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I got a full set from Tire Rack last year no problem, but may have just caught them at the right time. You may also try Longstone Tyres, who frequents this forum.