probably a dumb question about high revs at start-up | FerrariChat

probably a dumb question about high revs at start-up

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Sep 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This isn't necessarily a Ferrari-specific question, but I am noticing with many late model sporty-type cars, at start-up, the revs quickly spike up to around red line and then go back down. My wife's Range Rover Sport was programmed to do this. I assume it is all for show and effect. However, I was thinking that a rev at start-up is precisely the worst thing you can do to an engine, as the oil has not adequately warmed and/or circulated.

Any thoughts on this?

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Is it actually revving or the needle just bounces to max and back?

edit: Kinda makes sense why Range is always ranked so poorly on reliability if they are automatically revving a cold engine haha

3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It's done for emissions purposes, getting things up to temperature and such (like getting the catalyst "fired up" to handle those raw hydrocarbons), and with today's thin multi-viscosity oils I'm sure there is no concern for the motor even in winter. In older cars with fast-idle settings I personally don't like how it feels but likewise think there is no harm done. You'll probably end up using your right foot to keep it running and warming up if the car didn't do it itself.

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I don’t know of a single car that will actually rev to redline when started up. The rev counter might go all the way but not the engine itself.

350MH83, ewright and Viperjoe like this.
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that may be what is happening.

Viperjoe likes this.
  6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    They definitely rev 2,000 to 3k but if a car actually revs to redline that's news to me. They always idle a bit higher too until warmed up but that's common knowledge.

Viperjoe likes this.
  7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    The needle sweep is just for show, the high idle is strictly for emissions and getting the cat up to temp faster, it's usually dumping fuel in at the same time. You can turn all that nonsense off with a tune if you've gone the catless route. I always turn the cold start high idle off on my cars once the exhaust is done, it keeps the neighbors happy early in the morning and saves a little bit of gas.

Husker likes this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that's kind of what I was thinking.

I'll never forget a number of years ago, I put together a fundraiser car show at my kids' school. We had one guy bring a Bugatti Veyron to the show. It sat for like 3 hours and someone wanted to hear it rev. The owner got in it, started it, and was basically almost redlining the thing from cold. Cute.

As a side note, he also scraped the front spoiler pretty good driving into the parking lot - the crowd gasped. :D

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    At one point the 308s were set up to run at something like 2500-3000 rpm when cold to meet emissions standards . The engines didn't last as long. I recall reading that it was easy to disable that fast idle mechanism.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes - the 308's especially the early Injected cars would catch and go up to about 3K,, then come down to 2K and eventually bounce down to 1500 rpm and then hunt for idle around 900 -1K... basically you dont even want to try to drive the car when its in fast idle... the check valve and relays would go crazy... and the car would jerk when accelerating until it got about 150F... ( thermotime switch started to lower idle. I think most guys just disconnected the o2 sensor and then connected it up for passing emissions.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I recall my 308 did precisely this, and I did disable the fast idle mechanism, though I have slept a few thousands times since then.

12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have here a 308 GTSi road test from the March 1981 Road & Track. The writer says that "one can't help but cringe" at the "2500-rpm cold idle".

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No stock ICE engine is programmed to hit redline at startup. That would be terrible for a cold engine especially a performance engine with solid lifters.