Run Flat tires? | FerrariChat

Run Flat tires?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lotustt, Jan 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Can run flat tires be plugged? I did not think they could but just wanted to make sure. Friend has a screw stuck in one of his runflats.

2. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    it depends... some places will plug em

on my 06 3 series, it came with run flats, dealership told me if u get a puncture you have to replace em...

conversely, a friend of mine got an 06 3 series from a different dealership, was told that sometimes you can plug em depending on how bad they are...

3. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    What about adding a standard tube tire instead of a runflat? All the tires are to new to replace all of them. So one would be a tube and the other 2 runflats.

4. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    I wouldn't chance it

different tread patterns etc could equate to a nasty situation

for what its worth, I ditched my run flats and moved to regular tires... I now carry an M-Mobility kit in my trunk in case I ever get a flat...

the stock wheels will have their runflats removed and tossed... and they will become wheels for snowtires when i move back up to NJ

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Thanks a lot for your info and thoughts. I understand what you are saying. I was hoping to find the same tire/tread pattern but just as a non runflat. But they probably do not make one in each variety.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Run flats are a waste of money. Buy a can of "tire filler" or whatever it's called and if you get a leak, spray the can into the tire. Why pay a lot more for tires when they will only go a few miles, then need replacing like a normal tire?

I really don't get it.

7. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    That spray stuff is not only bad for your rims/wheel it's bad for the environment as well.

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    When I had Goodyear run flats on the Vette I had them patched several times, from what I understand other brands don't recomend patching though guys on the Vette forum apparently do it anyway and I don't remember hearing of any problems.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

MY M3 run flats have been patched and replaced.

For some reason I've had more flat timres in 2 years with the M3, than in my lifetime.

5 flats in two years. four patches, two replacements. (I know,doesn't seem to add up. They replaced 2 tires, but on one they tried to patch it first, on one they didn't. (they didn't try to fix the runflat that had a sidewall blow out, imagine that!)

Bought the tire/wheel insurance from the dealer when I got the car. Best $400 I ever spent. They've fixed a rim, and all the tire problems.

They did tell me that they will only do one patch/plug. If the tire has a second flat, out it goes. Hence one of my two replacements.

NEXT TIME, NO RUN FLATS FOR SURE!!

DM

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    When we ordered the SLK350, run flats were one option we DID NOT get. You have to watch using the canned "tire filler" - aka Stop Leak, as it is not recommended for Z rated tires. Had a large nail in one of the rears on the SLK and just replaced the tire (Pirelli) - a tad expensive but safer.

Carol

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Also if you have a sports car, what's the point of run flats, they draw performance away from the wheel. due to how rigid the tires are. Have you guys ever tried to mount a run flat tire? It's about 10 times harder and a special belt is required to hold on to the damn things. Mounting a run flat tire is very tricky.

12. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I think the idea is that if you are running at 150 mph, you are more likely to the curb safely. jm2c

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The one's on the Veryon are speed rated to 268 MPH and can go 200kms flat.
    Seems good to me in a car that you can't fit a jack/spare into. Allows you to get somewhere safe. Also cans don't always work.

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Mmmm..... not true. The sidewalls are definitely stiffer but it's not that big a thing. I have watched them take them off and put them back on a few times and there was no special belt and it didn't look any different than a regular tire.