Testarossa severe mechanical failure | FerrariChat

Testarossa severe mechanical failure

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hipporacer, Sep 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    I just had the major engine out service for my testarossa. They sent it back and it had a clean bill of health. The day it came back I realized the ac no longer worked. The plan was to have it sent back and they would fix it free of charge. Well today I was out driving. And I noticed a pleasant burning smell. It smelled like a subway sandwich shop baking bread. About 40 miles into the drive I noticed a significant loss of engine power. Even in 2nd and 3rd the car had no get up and go. Couldnt even accelerate enough to pass other cars. After that the engine began to stall if I slowed to a stop. I called a tow company and they literally laughed at me and refused to help. So I developed a technique to get the limping horse home. Whenever I had to slow down or stop I had to put her in neutral and give her gas to keep the engine revs avove above 1k. The engine never recovered her power and getting the car in the garage was a chore due to the slow speed required. Obviously Ill call the Ferrari service center Tuesday and update them...but what else can I do. This is very frustrating. Especially given the recent service and bill. The last month has treated me poorly, and this is icing on the cake.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to hear what happened :(
    I think they put not all connections together right and so the engine runs only on 1 bank.
    go back to the garage who did the job and they have to fix the mistake on their own costs. was this an official F service or a free garage?
    good luck

3. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    This was an offical Ferrari service center and dealership...also this is an 87 american testarossa for anyone else who wonders. 31000 miles. I got 300 miles on it between its service and this. The service was done less than a month ago...I like to drive my car. Im sad that I cant now. Its more sluggish than a Buick now.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    now I wonder twice. an official F service center and dealer may not do such bad thing. but first let them check what is wrong.
    how long they are official service center? may be not so long and they not know the TR how to repair/service it?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but I also wonder: you smell baking bread, why you still go on driving???

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    The smell did not occur until I was 30 minutes in. Within 15 minutes the engine lost power. There was no sign of issue from the start.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then I think it is an ignition problem and fuel still comes but not get burned.
    please let us know what the F service thinks about the failure

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You own a very old car. Anything can happen and it may not be the fault of the service facility. Things fail. You may have a bad ignition module that was working just fine one day..and the next day it's junk. Or the 35 year old fuel pump finaly said good night. These are items that are not replaced during a standard belt service.

So before demanding the shop pay for everything.. how about we find out what went wrong first..then move forward from there.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From your description, Romano is correct. You are running on 1 bank. This could be something very simple. A bad coil wire is what caused my last "inline 6" condition. It could also be a bad fuel pump, or anything fuel related. filter, distributor, etc. The easiest 2 things to check are if you have spark on both banks and if you have fuel on both banks. Takes about 5 minutes.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    A very intelligent response! Thank you.

11. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    I do apologize if it sounded like I was trying to blame the issue solely on the service center. I am aware the car is old and old stuff tends to break. I was more just voicing my frustration as well as my loss of confidence in this vehicle. Which I am hoping can be regained with time. Being stranded on the side of the road in a Ferrari is a difficult spot. Especially when tow companies refuse to help...anyways, I appreciate the advice on the 1 bank/check coils...I have no clue how to do this. Is there a video or a guide I can be linked to by chance?

12. Hipporacer

Hipporacer Karting

Jun 26, 2021
    Springfield IL
    Full Name:
    Julia M Stapleton
    Another little update. Based off of another post, and by the way Im not too knowledgeable about cars, I checked these big white long plug things that were under these wierd square fuses below some regular looking car fuses. All the wires of the car seem to ve going into them from somewhere. Two of the sockets were badly burnt and charred. According to this other posts picture, it appears to be my AC and one of my fuel pumps which would seem to point towards a solution. Since Im having AC problems and half engine problems. Now I dont know how to fix it. And other things could be wrong too. But, I feel like this is a good thing. Am I right?

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

If you intend to own an old car..I would suggest locating and purchasing a service manual, and a basic set of tools.

Finding shops even willing to work on these cars is getting few and far between, and the ones that do.. have pretty long waiting lists to get in.

Being able to tackle basic repairs yourself can massively reduce down time and save you money.

This site is a great resource for repair info with a bunch of knowledgeable people/owners who have have battled through a ton of issues with these cars.

Get involved in the hobby. Go further then just being an owner. Get your hands dirty. It's fun and educational.

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I read about a court case where an exotic car owner kept driving the car when he admitted he knew something was wrong right after service, the judge ruled in favor of the shop because he did not immediately stop and have it towed in.

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Julia,
    If you want a relatively reliable, hands off status car with plenty of service centers…. buy a porsche. If you want a fast fun, and less expensive car, buy a vette.

These cars are fiddly. They do have a relatively few, common points of failure. If you are mechanically inclined, they are typically fairly easy to diagnose and fix. If you are not at all mechanically inclined, the car will become an expensive aggravation. I would NEVER consider the tr a daily driver. Some do, but they are far and few between.

Personally, I enjoy my time working on the car as much as driving it. If it were not for that, I’d likely be driving a vette. They are a really nice car these days. Any chevy dealer can fix it!

All that said, everybody here will bend over backwards to help you out. Keep asking questions!

The fuse box issues you cite are a typical problem. Several folks out there offer solutions. Personally, Inused Scuderia Rampante. You can find more info here:
    https://****************.com/product/test/

Put scuderia rampante as all one word in replacement of the stars shown above. This forum will not allow a link to their site - no free advertising. Small minded pia.

Hit search and a lot of info will pop up. Many on this forum have been thru the same issue you now face.

It is a relatively easy fix if you have basic wiring skills. If not, it will be a challenge - but something you could do if you are willing to do a significant amount of research. If you like a challenge, the tr is right for you.

Maybe call the guys at SR and have them send you their installation instructions.

MOSS and turbo-joe like this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    One other point of note - these cars are essentially hand built, limited production vehicles. I the 80s, Ferrari were just starting into the modern era. Just ten or fifteen years prior, they were still fabricating the bodies out of a sheet of aluminum and a hammer in hand. You cannot expect a bulletproof, modern vehicle from Ferrari in that era.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

My experience with mine has been that it does need constant "predictive" TLC, however as long as you do look after it properly (ie don't skimp on maintenance and always check over it), they are very reliable cars indeed.

Trouble will always start to come in when you don't dote on them appropriately.

18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Right and make sure you drive it once a week or it will be subject to more down time.

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well, you're right to deal with this issue. However, the burned contacts aren't necessarily your problem. All TR's have this issue. I believe the most common burned contacts are for the cooling fans. They draw a lot of juice. Check spark on both banks and fuel on both banks. That's going to point you in the right direction.