The Big Picture for the cars we love? | FerrariChat

The Big Picture for the cars we love?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Entelechy, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Just curious what our informed and diverse group forsee as the future for the cars we love? In my own case, I'm still saving for a 328 GTS, and while more pragmatic concerns have pushed that back; it remains a powerful incentive...(lucky for me it's one of the cheaper and more reliable F-cars). However, I wonder in an age where we finally have Hybrid cars in the market, gas prices fluctuating on the high-end ($2.50/gallon for premium in Malibu), emissions concerns, ever-increasing traffic congestion & urban sprawl, new transpo systems in development, etc., etc....how much longer will the cars we love have in a world where technology is accellerating so rapidly? It seems like you could maintain classic cars much easier in years past, but will that dwindle in the future? I don't raise this to sound alarmist, it's more out of curiosity.

As an interesting aside, I was working on a film a couple years ago set in the year 2034. We were researching and designing a futuristic city. In studying population and overcrowding statistics, and how to make it work in terms of transportation, it seemed best to draw from nature. I was looking into everything from ant colonies to cells moving through our bloodstreams, trying to find ways in which nature took dense interconnected networks of transportation and created optimum efficiency of design. Now, in this month's Wired, they are already developing such a system in Cardiff, Wales called ULTra pod. From the article, "ULTra pod - the new zero-emission, on-demand transport system is a cross between a driverless taxi and a monorail. Designed by ex-aerospace engineers in the UK, the ULTra system offers immediate and nonstop personal service along a network of tracks. Eventually, commuters will be able to duck into a four-passenger car at one of the many pick-up spots (with wait times of less than a minute), push a button to choose a destination, and pay the fare via smartcard. ULTra relays rider requests over a digital network to a mainframe computer, and the journey begins. Each low-power pod uses 50 times less energy than an automobile and hits speeds of up to 25 mph. Don't worry: ATS says it has incorporated sensors to prevent any pod-to-pod mishaps."