Tubi or not Tubi | FerrariChat

Tubi or not Tubi

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Continuing from the holiday thread, Tubi exhaust systems do sound GREAT, but I really could never bring myself to pay that much for a muffler. My opinion only

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    TUBI !
    And it worth it - ask my neighbours:D
    I have had a Tubi with test pipes in my 308GTSi QV`85 and now the same package in my `91 Testarossa.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

3. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #3 Dave Bendl, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spending over $2k for a muffler you don't need but want can be a tough decision. I justified it by adopting my spouse's attitude towards jewelry. Then again, I also waited until she was out of town for delivery.
    Lighter & prettier than the original, the Tubi can really enhance the rear of a 308 or a 328. The elimination of the stock "loaded diaper" is also a nice asset.

As far as sound is concerned the Tubi delivers a great, but louder than original tone. Teaming the Tubi with unresonated test pipes at least on the 308, is not music for the street in my opinion. The combo sounds like a truck at low RPM. Stebro makes resonated test pipes which should make a more tolerable tone.

There may be dyno HP gains but you probably wont notice it, at least I didn't on my 308 QV.

Below is a pic of the Tubi installation with stock cats on my 308. The mini "challenge" valance was fabricated out of round perforated metal by Skip Williamson & myself in an afternoon. It worked out real well & allows the Tubi to be seen.

I am keeping the original system & diaper in storage if I ever sell the car, the new owner has the option: Tubi or not Tubi. His/her choice.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love that valance you guys made. Really cool. Will knock on your door in about five years.
    :)

5. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks Andreas,
    I had to buy a full 4' x 8' sheet of the material at $70, and used half of it to make the valance. Philip bought the balance from me and made one for his 308.
    Dave

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Does anybody have any experience with a Tubi on a vintage V-12? I would like a little more sound than stock Ansa but I don't want to take away from the touring aspect of my car.

7. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Dave,
    You might check with the guy's at Continental Autosports. They may be able to give you a local referral. You could also check with Tubi USA in Holland, Mi. Francesco Yarde is a really nice guy, and may know someone as well.
    Dave

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    "He bought the Balance of the Valance". boop boop BOOP!,boop boop BOOP!,boop boop BOOP! hey,I have a new Rap song! WRONG!- Hey,I'm making a Rhyme every Time! -I'd better shut right up,before I say "Wasssup!!!"- O.K.,O.K.! I'll stop right NOW!!!! :)

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Thanks Andreas-

I did all of the work while Dave watched! :)

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Frank, go to your room!! :)

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sorry 'bout that. Don't know what came over me. Too much Holiday Cheer! :) (But,I don't Drink!) I took my kids down to the Museum of Science and Industry today to see the "Christmas Around the World". I guess that all of the "International Christmas Trees" and Holiday Cheer rubbed off. While we were there,we took a "Trip through Switzerland". Andreas,have you ever seen that? It's pretty neat. And,we saw all the other,"Old stand-bys". Coal Mine,Baby Chicks,Body Slices,(yuKK!!)Train,Planes,etc... Then,we drove by the Daley Center and saw the Big,Chicago Christmas Tree. Had a nice day with my kids. :)

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I AM in my ROOM! WAHHH!!!!!

13. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    That's right... Supervisor's watch while others work !

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Dave330GTC. They make a Tubi for the 550/575 Maranello,which,as you know,are also front engined V12 cars. And,I would think that there would be a little more room in the engine bay of your car,due to not having all of that Pollution and Computer stuff. So,maybe a Tubi for your car is quite possible. (if they don't make an application for your car specifically.)And,this may be a reach,but,just how different would the exhaust port locations be compared to each other? The cars look to be pretty similar in size,albeit 30 plus years difference. So,the basic pipe layout could possibly work out O.K.,or with some heating and bending. But,has the basic engine block really changed all that much? I don't know,just a thought. I have absolutely ZERO experience with any 12 cylinder engines. And,very little with my own Ferrari. But,have been wrenching on American V8's for over 30 years,and they are still,basically,the same block and principle through the years.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hi Dave, you must be bored.

What are you doing in Chicago Chat? :)

As Dave B. says; Tubi, or not Tubi.......that is the question!

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    hey man! Just trolling around... :)

I know where bob comes from with the cost on a Tubi...but the annoying booming exhaust note on my 328 forced me to dump the stock exhaust! My carb 308 with cat test pipes actually sounded pretty good, just the way it was.

18. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok, so i should probably get myself a Tubi then for my 328.... Hmmm.... Ok, the other question, do i remove the catalyst and add a test pipe or leave it on??? I'm worried if i remove the catalyst i will fail the emmision tests when i get called...

When my car goes in for the Major service at Continental, i think i will have them do the Tubi at that time.... Any one know of the best place to buy the Tubi from???

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Simply brilliant!!!

Tubi ought to pick that one up. Enzo holding a skull in his extended right hand.

Frank, no didn't go to see the Swiss display. I'm still undergoing treatment for the shocks I suffered when visiting the Matterhorn in LA.

Tod, I've read about others who flip flop the test types with the catalysts and get away with it. Personally I wouldn't dare missing with that. Illinois is just too unforgiving of a state. You can put the tubi in now, but I would wait with the test pipes. As mentioned below an economic way to get the tubi is through hgparts.com (FChat sponsor) and then have it installed (about three hours of work on a lift).

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    For Dave330GTC,
    Hi Dave,
    Tubi does have them available for the 330GTC part #01306412052 front and #01306412042 rear. I am sure that they are nowhere near as economical as the units for the 3X8's. (8->}

I found a company in Ohio that manufactures custom performance stainless exhaust systems, they have baffled (low restriction) mufflers that are only 3" - 3.5" in diameter. I have considered having a local shop twist up some pipes to go with these mufflers and weld them together. This would not only sound nice but add a little extra ground and body clearance. Plus they don't have squared off ends (less likely to get hung up on obstructions).

Don't let Frank (parkerfe) find this thread, he'll have a fit. (8->}

Regards,
    Bill

21. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Bill, I have also thought about buying stainless pipe and bending it to match my existing system with some sort of small mufflers. I may end up trying that. I want to be careful to not have it be too loud or to have the wrong tone to it. I would paint it black so it would fade into the background. I have also looked at the Stebro system which is not priced too high. I still have a few months before I will need it.

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,
    What I meant is chambered mufflers, they also have straight through stainless packed mufflers (which could be used as resonators/rear muffs) among others. The link is below.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/Mufflers.htm

Bill

23. Dave330gtc

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Bill, I like it. I would just need to fab some brackets for my hangers which shouldn't be a big deal. Dave

24. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Tod,
    I agree completely with Andreas regarding the test pipes. Go with just the Tubi for now. The installation, on your car is very simple. There is only one (3) bolt flanged pipe to attach to the cat. No modifications are necessary. If you plan to have Continental do the installation, you should purchase the Tubi from them. If not, order from our F-Chat sponsor and have it drop shipped to another shop for installation. Try Ed's Automotive in Palatine at 847-934-6111.

Dave

25. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Good choice Dave, Ed can save you money.