355 - Yet another top/seat issue | FerrariChat

355 Yet another top/seat issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by robf91, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robf91

robf91 Rookie

Nov 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert F
    So i have a 355, oviously or i wouldnt be posting here...
    The top will go down with emergency,
    The seat buttons operate backwards, push forward to make seats go back, pull back to make seats go forward.
    The top wont to down as it tries to push the seats backwards.
    Any idea where somone could have simply plugged something in backwards?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Or a 348?

Bizarre. Did the car suddenly start working this way or is this a new (to you) car... or have you had work done on the car recently? Are the seats going in the opposite direction (with the seat buttons) with the roof both latched and unlatched? With the roof pulled back to the buzzer point? Or not?

The top wants to go down? The top won't go down? What tries to push the seats backwards? The top switch?

I assume the switch connectors are "keyed", so it's unlikely they have been reversed. The roof/seat controller has 3 plugs, with different numbers of pins.

On first impression, it sounds like a roof controller problem :confused: I can't see how both seats would want to go backwards as the signals to/from the controller to the switches, seat motors and potentiometers run on individual wires. If both the seat switches and roof switch is making the seats run backwards, then it's not likely to be a console switch problem.

However, if you can answer the questions above, we can better isolate the problem. Hopefully the solution is less expensive than a roof controller. I have another theory I'm working on, but need more information.

3. robf91

robf91 Rookie

Nov 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert F
    Well it looks like someone "fixed" the connector for the seat motor atleast the passenger side at one point as there is jb weld on the back of the plug holding the pins in. So my assumptio is they may have wired them both backwards. I swapped the pins and the seat moves like it should. I will do the driver side next and post my findings.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds promising, but what are the chances he "fixed" both seat motor plugs like this?

Are there short sections of wires going from the connectors to the motors? Or does the connector attach directly to the motor casing. If there are wires, I'd be interested to know the colours.

E.g. Driver's Seat:
    Blue-black on roof controller side of connector with ??? on motor side of connector (positive volts here = seat forward)
    White-black on roof controller side of connector with ??? on motor side of connector (positive volts here = seat rearwards)

F355 Roof Wiring Diagram

5. robf91

robf91 Rookie

Nov 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert F
    Top works backwards aswell forward is down backward is up. So yeah its a pretty good chance lol

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the roof is operating in the reverse sense, it's not the seat motor wiring. At least not solely. Before you do any more re-wiring, I would be checking the inputs going into the Roof Controller from the switches. Maybe someone was earlier de-stickying the switches and put the top of the switch back to front (if that is possible).