Kato ''Powerslide Portrait'' for avatar | FerrariChat

Kato ''Powerslide Portrait'' for avatar

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #1 Bell Bloke, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well Guys, today I decided to have a go at doing a picture of Kato for my avatar here.
    First problem is that I don't have anyone to take the shot for me when I'm sliding Kato and I don't really want to let my friends try sliding the car whilst I take it.
    Originally I did want to do a high speed 100mph drift but the car comes out way too blurred and on a very high shutter speed it looks stationary including the wheels.
    So today after a lot of fiddling around with an IR trigger for the camera I finally managed to get the car pin sharp powersliding out of a corner, but with a bit of spin in the wheels.
    It's not perfect but I did do the shoot on my own today. Idealy the camera should be panned with the car but as I say I was on my own playing instead. Anyway here is Katos avatar portrait, now all I have to do is figure out how to insert it here.
    All the best, Bell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ChicagoFerrari

ChicagoFerrari Karting

Dec 19, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks awesome!

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Looks nice Bell! Looks great in its surrounding and I do like the yellow tinted flashing lights. Also without plates they look the best! We do not have these nice small elegant plates like they do in Italy :( So you did this with the self timer? Brillant!

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #4 Bell Bloke, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Hi MvT, I actually used a light beam trigger, the upside being that you get an in focus controlled shot every time. The downside however is that it only takes one shot at a time, and due to space restrictions I couldn't actually do a nice smooth power slide. This meant that I had only about 20 feet to get the tail out on full lock and back again before coming to a complete stop. Not easy. I did loose it once though. I'll post the video of that later ha ha. Actually I have a little trick I do in an event like that to save the situation, it works really well and you can see me do it on the video when I post it here. Also I have some other video from when I first got the car and was testing it's recoverability, I'll post that too.
    Regards Bell

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 soucorp, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh man that is awesome!

7. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Great shot, Bell. I love the paint work - - and the little skinny Euro black bumpers (trim) !!
    All tastefully done, mate.

Cheers,

Hank

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I should fly to England and offer to take the picture for you. :D

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    More smoke!

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #11 Bell Bloke, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Ha ha many thanks Gents, glad you liked it. Yes Srephwed I wanted more smoke but it was a bit windy and it seemed to blow away.
    Anyway, I thought you might like to see some old video footage I took when I first got the car.
    The object of the exercise here was to test the ballance of the car and how it behaved when pushed beyond limits.
    I did find that although the limited travel steering lock hindered really lurid tail out antics, the rack was nice and fast with strong centering giving very good feel and quick lock to lock response. As compared to Lotus the limited lock does mean that you can over do it and run out of steering as seen in the video, however this is only when pushed to extremes. Weight transfer and inercia is fairly good for a mid engined Italian car, the feel is nice on the limit and it is very progressive. In the video the car is being thrown in to the bend and power applied agressively, this is partly due to the lack of testing space and also I wanted to feel the car at it's worst.
    Grip in the dry is not hugely high by modern standards and in the wet one has to be a little cautious but feel is good and I think and the rear roll bars work very well, I like the set up too.
    In the dry even with 4 people you can really play hard and it's very indulging and fun in the corners.
    Anyway my first days owning and testing the car here in the wet and dry gave me a lot of confidence in it.
    I must find an airfield and do some nice 100mph slides and film those.
    So enough waffle, here is some video from those early tests, note how controlled the car is when brakes are applied hard when I overcook it, nice and predictable.
    Regards Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XP55CsePTY&feature=youtu.be

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks Bell! Great video and comments! Need to get my damn frame welded and get back on the road...(-*

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    So, news today that Jeremy Clarkson of TOP GEAR UK is suspended, so who's going to replace him?
    Been thinking about it and I think............Chris Evans! He's into cars, he's a great presenter who needs a shot in the arm on primetime, he's the right age to get on well with the other two and he knows how to work an audience....also he already works for the BBC.
    Place your bets!
    Regards Bell Bloke

14. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Living in the US all I get is old youtube top gears. Still very enjoyable. Sorry but in my opinion he can not be replaced. He made the show. Just ask the Stig.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #15 Bell Bloke, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Oh I agree BUT if they have their backs to the wall and had to replace JC then Chris Evans is a logical choice I feel.
    Mind you, nobody outside the UK has even heard of Chris Evans ha ha.

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Tough situation for BBC, but you can't keep punching people's face so it is the logical step for the BBC. For Jeremy... well I think he doesn't care less ;) he can take the show in a different form and name onto the Internet starting his own business and the whole world will follow him. The next show will be "Anger management" :p Wonder who his guest will be!

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Have you considered doing the job yourself? You've already proven you can get an exotic car sideways for the camera. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha ha Cooool ;-)
    Hey Andrew, if I had a 6 lane runway I'd do it at a 3 figure speeds no problem ha ha.
    Seriouslythough I am trying to get access to a runway to do some 100mph slides on camera.
    Back in the 90s I used to practice in the Lotus and Countach on an airfield but now they are all secured, such a pity as it was a great way to get to know your car.
    It makes you realise what cars are really good and what ones are really bad. the Countach is really bad....the Lotus, amazing....the old Ferrari promising and a lot of fun.
    All the best Bell ;-)