Fiat 850 Spider - Guigiaro/Bertone - thread | FerrariChat

Fiat 850 Spider - Guigiaro/Bertone - thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by William Abraham, Nov 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #1 William Abraham, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It's a plain old Fiat 850 Spider, late Sixties or very early Seventies. Asking price seems awfully high, they made a ton of them, but not many have survived in decent condition. Number one problem is rust, of course. Examples exposed to a lot of sunlight will have badly cracked/deformed dashboards, door panels, seats, etc. Fun to drive (slowly) but almost totally lacking in creature comfort when compared with any car built today.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Drive it on a windy road at 40 MPH and it's like you're doing 140 in a Ferrari...

4. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    They're kind of cool, unusual and rare today. And it's designed by Bertone!

5. Fun cars. That looks like a 1972 or 73, priced beyond full retail. I had a 850 Spyder when I was 14, I bought out of the police impound lot with grass cutting money for $185. Everyone thought it was locked up, but it turned out to be a jammed starter. Once that was fixed I had a cool gokart. I would drive it up and down the driveway, much to the amusement (not really) of the neighbors. Rust is the biggest issue, 71 was a recall for rust for the entire car. The cars that were turned in were cut in half! The local dealer let me pick clean numerous cars for free. I have a 850 coupe in the corner of my garage now.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #6 Mang, Feb 3, 2014
    I've grown real fond of these little Bertone styled beauties. The early 'sloped/sealed' headlight buckets are 'Miura-cool', and those tailights are 'Miura/Mangusta-cool'. I know these are gateway cars to all things exotic and Italian, but they are just plain cool all on their own. Push button door mechanisms are sweet. Some real nice styling touches everywhere. Disc brakes too!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #7 Mang, Feb 3, 2014
    The later years had this, also great looking headlight treatment....changed for some regulator somewhere? I love that shape.

No, these aren't mine in the photos, jut google searched. Tons of colorful shots to look at. I do note that the red car is a tasteful looking 'euro' car (Carello round side marker light), rear delete, vs GAWDY US billboard size front and rear side markers....yuck! The earlier cars, series 1, did not have any side marker lights, like the powder blue restored car in the first photo, cleanest look of all, and those are aftermarket (Abarth? Campy or Cromodora's no doubt?) lightweight magnesium rims for racing...just sharing some research :D

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    I used to have a GF who loved these. I have to tell you, they are really terrible cars. The engines are Fiat 850 cc engines closely related to the 500/600 so it's easy to fix and water cooled-- but slow as a snail. They rust if you look at them, the brakes are awful, they have no creature comforts at all, and the handling is TERRIBLE because of the archaic suspension and steering system. The engine in the back makes the front light which also effects steering. The interior is made of cheap plastic of the Karman Ghia era.

If you crash it, cash in your chips.

The biggest thing about them is that they are cute. But, there's a reason why they are so cheap. The Fiat 124 spider is soooooooo much better.

9. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    What is unknown, is how long can you drive an 850 before you find yourself stranded by the side of the road.

10. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    #10 MrRdStr, Feb 4, 2014
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

That's a really nice car. Classy and sporty.

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Appreciate the wisdom and feedback....assuming you were pursuing one of these and it was mostly complete AND fortunately avoided the rust issue, what is the market presently? Value of sealed headlight versions vs later version? Factory hardtop value? Anything else?

13. GuyGardstone

GuyGardstone Karting

Apr 15, 2013
    Italy
    In Italy you can buy one from 4500€ to 12000€.
    Prices are too high considering the real value, but they are rare to find in a good condition. I never have seen one with hardtop.

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #14 Mang, Feb 4, 2014
    Thanks for the info...here is an early Bertone promo shot with the rare factory hardtop in place.

I think an example with sloped headlights and factory hardtop is the way to go.

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #15 Mang, Feb 4, 2014
  16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    First year production, notice the front turn signals that wrap around and in the body, same ones used by Bizzarrini. So many italian cars used the trim pieces designed for this car, door handles Iso Grifo, headlights and locks Lamborghini Miura…...

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #17 Mang, Feb 4, 2014
    Cool Mike, ANY other amazing facts about these parts car masterpieces? What do you think of that Bertone style? I think the time to jump on DRY complete examples is now. The early cars are really doin it for me.

I just acquired one that is a storage unit/barnfind...so much fun and intrigue as I now own all the belongings in the unit too, hoping for a silver dollar collection, :D

I dug around WITHOUT a Hazmat suit, so didn't really see what I bought yet. Road tripping next week to survey better my stash. All I do know is there is a dry, complete, VERY dirty, but seemingly decent condition red spider lurking with mystery mechanicals? I just ordered fresh vredestein's for it today :)

I like to jump in with both feet when I get smitten with...hot Italian, cars, women, calcio, food, etc. :)

18. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I bought 2 in High school for $300 bucks, never got the better one running right.

Neat little cars.

19. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    Did you buy the motorhome that was also with the FIAT? I was interested in it.

FWIW I have an 850 spyder with a 124 engine in it. Pretty fun car that I don't mind beating on. Enjoy!

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Years ago, we did have a customer with an 850 Spider optimistically called the Racer, iirc. It was a FHC with a vinyl roof. I can't remember if it offered any performance amenities over the standard Spider but it seemed to run better than other 850s the guys worked on. It may have had the larger engine, it was offered towards the end of the production run.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

My Girlfriend's car had the hard top. You could get them aftermarket in the US.

In the US on Ebay you can find them all the time. They run usually a few thousand dollars if they are running. Most have terrible rust and bad interiors.

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #22 Mang, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Doug, I did have a look at the motor home....biggest home on wheels I think I've ever seen.....a city block long! It gave me the creeps....best leave the mice to themselves. I passed.

I think the thing that appeals to me most about these cars is that they are tiny and with a maximum speed of 45 around most of the scenic twisty roads here....well you heard it, 40 feels like 140. Perfect for cruising to beach, etc.

Also please share photos of your spider....engine bay especially.

23. GuyGardstone

GuyGardstone Karting

Apr 15, 2013
    Italy
  24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Clean classic Italian lines, I like the X I/9 and the Lancia Scorpion too

25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #25 Mang, Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks for the link Guy. Seems MOST photos of these sweet cars shows 'em racing around (or broken down :D ) on scenic twisty mountain roads. I live in the freakin mountains, this car is perfect for me :D

Here is a photo that shows the 'racer' coupe mentioned. Gotta love the formal full name; "Fiat 850 Sport Spider Racer"