New Formula 1, is it Ugly? | FerrariChat

New Formula 1, is it Ugly?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brigitte, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Ugly New Formula 1?

1. Yes it is ugly, but beautiful if it wins races

2. No it is beautiful even if it looses

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    New Formula 1 seen last monday, is ugly, but if it wins races it will be very beautiful!

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    They've been horribly ugly for years now. I think Gilles' car was the last Ferrari F1 car that I actually think looked aesthetically pleasing.

At Marconi's place a few months ago I was looking over Schumi's 1995 car and it was comical how hideous it was. Prost's early 90's car was no better.

3. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Is Michael Schumacher's reign coming to an end? Are Raikkonen, Alonso and Webber the sport's future?

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If you think the Ferrari F1 is ugly, what do you think about the Williams then?

The 95 Ferrari was indeed no beauty, but there was a reason: The FIA made the high side protections mandatory after the Senna accident of 94. Only Mc Laren was smart enough that year to figure out you don't have to have these high sidewalls if you lower the driver. The following year everybody used Mc Laren's approach.

5. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    No, I am the sport's future. They just haven't discovered me yet.

Once they see that I'm a 32-year-old-and-aging-fast guy that turns laps at Willow Springs slower than cars with 100 less HP, they'll BITE baby. :)

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Brigitte may I politely steer you towards the FerrariChat Racing section where we spend hours pondering such thoughts.

E.g. in :
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5720

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I wouldn't say ferrari's F1 car is ugly.I would say the new williams is the definition of ugly for this years cars.I hope ferrari doesn't put something that ugly on there car in melbourne.

8. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    IMO, it is beautiful. I am just hoping for another double championship...

9. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    anyone have pics of it or a link to a site with pics? thanks

10. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    #10 GWat, Jan 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Now this is UGLY!!!

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Brigitte,
    welcome to the board.

I can not see anything ugly other than I would love to have been at the unveilling.

Martin

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    In my opinion these cars are works of art. I will stand alone and say that I even like the look of the Williams car. Of course Formula one cars are not going to be extremely sleek due to the fact they really care more about function really than design. I bet if any F1 team discovered that purple with yellow pokadots paint and little propeller blades shaved a few seconds off every lap they would be lined up at the paint shop.

14. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    anybody know what qualities they look for in F1 up and comers, i can only think of practice, and FAST reflexes? sounds like lots of kids could get into it by that, all else is taught right?

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The F1 cars aren't built for looks. There are built for one thing and one thing only. To win. However the front of the Williams looks like big ol tarantula fangs. LOL.

16. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
  17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Function isn't always pretty. Case in point would be most of the sucessful fighter aircraft built by the Grumman Aircraft corp over the last 50 years. Some of the ugliest but some of the best.

DJ

18. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    if you ask any race car driver they'll tell you it's not about reflexes it's about knowing what's infront of you. sure reflexes help when debris and unforseen obstacles come into play. but why do you think guys can still race when they're older, well beyond the age of other athletes.

if anything i'd say there is natural ability involved in it. sure lots of practice and experience is all part of the equation, like any other sport. but in order to be at the level these guys are at, i'd say that they had the racing gene in them at birth.

19. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    "There's always Hope!" I think this season will rock!

20. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    The F2004 ugly? No way. The Williams FW26 is ugly, really ugly.