Best Wax for 360 paint? | FerrariChat

Best Wax for 360 paint?

Discussion in '360/430' started by pinetreeneedles, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pinetreeneedles

BANNED

Nov 30, 2003
    Want to throughly wax my 360 while the weather has it landlocked and was curious what type paint Ferrari uses, how many coats they apply and what is the best wax to keep the paint protected and new.

TIA

2. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    This is a huge subject. There are so many things to consider. Such as how much time you want to spend. What kind of finish are you looking for. Do want a deep, show quality gloss? Do you prefer a one-step or multiple applications?

You can search the archives here at F-chat (just search under "wax")or you can spend a considerable amount of time at Autopia.com. There is just mountains of info out there.

3. nart2222

nart2222 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    I've been using the Griots "Best of Show" wax on mine for quite a few months now with very satisfactory results. I also use many of their other products like the pre-cleaner and their polishing cloths and supplies. Couldn't be happier.

N

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I personally like Zymol, but as sduke stated, there are a various number of ways to go aboup this. You need to determine what you want more, shine vs. durability, reflectiveness vs. depth of color, etc.

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Oh golly this has been well documented but I asked the same question and in fact did a poll on ferrari chat sometime ago.

Obviously, the finish depends on surface preparation. I sed Zymol sd Cleanse.

I tried pinnacle and zymol ital wax.And then Klasse and Zaino as acrylic polishes.

Here is my summary!!

I think if I was just showing a car or using it very infrequently, I would use a wax. Both waxes (pinnacle seems better) give a nice warmth.

The problem is that after polishing they attract dust and the surfaces seem difficult to clean afterwards. Even after a wash and leather the finish nvere really comes back in the same way, plus it does not last that long, maybe 3 months.

So onto Zaino, its a bit labourious to apply it as you have a coat of Z1 mixedwith zfx activator then z 6 then z5

But You get a VERY reflective surface and aftre a wash yo can spray z6 gloss enhancer it stops dirt pick up and your left with a surface that as good as the day you polished it months before. Also it 'fills in' scratches and small swirls.

Ive not tried Klasse yet but suspect similar results!

so if you actually USE your car go zaino or klasse IMO

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    P21S is a fraction better than Pinnacle in looks, but Pinnacle smells :)

Zaino looks very good and I haven't "waxed" my car with Zaino in 3 1/2 months and it looks great and beads like I just waxed it yesterday. I drive my car 2000-3000 miles a month and park it outdoors, so choose whats best for you.

Now that I'm in a garage again and have access to a garden hose, I'm switching back to Pinnacle or P21S. I'm after best looks since I wash it once a week and Zaino is good, in the top 5 waxes, but its not the best for show. I pimp my black finish, I want a show wax. :)

I wrote an extensive write-up on how I do it, search in the archives for the "longest single post" as the subject line.

Sunny

7. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    You did indeed write and EXCELLENT post and its actuallt your advise that made me try zaino. I might try P21s next!! where can I get that!

CouldI use it over zaino?or is that mad!

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Once you have Zaino on there, you could conceivebly switch to a wax for increased gloss and depth. However, what you can't do is put on more Zaino until you strip the wax, which is a process that strips the Zaino (in part) as well. Layering wax on Zaino is great, but if you put on more Zaino, its like mixing oil into a very hot pan, you don't do it from a chemical standpoint since Zaino is like an acrylic coating.

P21S and Pinnacle you could buy online. I think the cheapest to find Pinnacle is $50/jar and P21S at $20-24/jar. You get 12oz of Pinnacle vs 8oz of P21S. So financially, P21S is superior and a millimeter better in looks, but Pinnacle smells like cocanut bananna and you might like getting "high" off it :)

Sunny

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    You can get the best of both worlds -

Klasse as a base and P21-S as a topper.

P21-S will only last 4-6 washes, but it is so easy to apply you can re-coat the car in about 30 minutes of time.

I used this combo and nailed a trophy at Winter Park which had the exact same judges at Cavallino last weekend (car not entered due to bumper being painted).

Doing another show this Sunday with same combo.
    :)

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Sunny - to add to your post.

I don't care for Zaino because it tends to "highlight" any imperfetions in the body....a small pressure ding will look twice as large, or seems to capture your attention more. Also too sterile...not much "depth", but hightly reflective.

Klasse has been described as giving a look of a polished jem..which I agree with.

You can also buy P21-S locally at any Harley dealer under the name of S-100, which is the identical product, but marketed for the motorcycle industry.

11. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

12. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Thats interesting! thats the conclusion I came to with zaino, I did like it but noticed that imperfections I otherwise would not notice were there!

I have not tried the klasse yet, thats next on the list!

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    All good advice.

Ymu have to post pictures when your done though. After the hard work, trust me, you want to savor the moment and so do we! :)

Thanks for the tips,
    Sunny

14. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Does anyone have any experience with One-Grand products

15. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have used One Grand's Blitz wax and like it. It is not as easy to apply as Pinnacle or P21S but it does last longer. It also leaves chalky residue. I have used it before on my daily driver but now have Zaino on everything. Their quick detail spray Show Off is my favorite.
    Bill

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've been really happy with Mother's Reflections. It is available locally, for about $10. It is a synthetic also, which means it lasts a while. Really easy to put on and wipe off. And I will argue that it looks as good as just about anything else out there (because it is prep that really matters).

With the time you saved, go out for a drive.

Dom

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I used to use Blitz before I switched. I still use Omega Glaze though. Its right on the money with Meguiar's #7. I have a big black daily driver, so time saved with Pinnacle or P21S means I get finished sooner, x4 for each week in the month, it adds up.

Sunny

18. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    How does it save time, Go on Quicker? Off quicker? Last longer?

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Both. Its a wipe on wet wipe off wet wax. There is no cure time needed. Take the applicator, twist it in the jar with light pressure to coat it, then apply and as soon as you wipe the panel down wipe it right off. It doesn't chalk and if it does, your using way too much. It goes on and wipes off with no pressure so you don't have to "fight" at any point in the process unless you do 1/2 the car at once and you let it cure. Its easier then drying the car!

Sunny

20. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The best wax by far is Meguires new XLT, its not in stores and I ordered it from their website.

A car detailing forum was ranting and raving about some test samples of it so I tried some on my 328 and its incredible

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I notice that the harder the wax, the better the first shine, but the worse the later shine. I use Mothers wax right now (since I ran out of McGuires). It goes on well, and is harder to buf out, but shines really well (not show quality). However, after the next wash it looks dull, even while providing plenty of evidence it is still protecting the finish (beeding water). McGuires had similar firt day shine, but better subsequent wash shine, but on the third wash, it was no longer on the paint.

{{Not actually recommending any wax products, just using the names of the products I have used}}

22. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Regarding the comments concering the waxes. Carnuaba comes in different forms, white and yellow. White carnauba provides extreme shine and depth of color but not much longevity or protection. Yellow carnuaba offers more longevity and protection but less shine. This is why the harder the waxes (more % of white carnuaba) seem to lose their shine and depth of color fast.

23. Magellan498

Magellan498 Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    Well, I've seen alot of info here. Some good, some wrong.

First off, neither Zaino nor Klasse contain any abrasives. Klasse is strictly an acrylic sealant and Zaino is strictly a polymer-based sealant. The Zaino line does have a "polish" but that only serves to fill in imperfections, not remove them. (you can fill 'em or get rid of 'em, it's up to you)

Zaino and Klasse will both provide a good shine (though fairly flat) that will last up to 6 months. Zaino boasts its "99.9% optical clarity" so yes, it will accentuate any maring or imperfections in your surface. You should go though a thorough paint prep session before thinking about a topper.

Now it's popular to top with Zaino then your choice of carnuaba wax. I prefer and recommend the S100 paste wax because it's the easiest and best looking wax you can get locally. Check out your local Harley dealer, or any bike shop. You could buy the $50 dollar tub of Pinnacle wax, but the difference in depth and warmth is minimal. Most people don't notice a difference.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Zaino, Klasse, Pinnacle or S100 won't make your Ferrari look perfect. You have to have your finish looking as good as you want before you apply these products. Prep work is key. Hope this helps... :)