360 break in | FerrariChat

360 break in

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mbarr, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I've done a search without results. I'd like to know opinions or recommended break in procedure for the 360.

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

A SEXSTONE

Definition-A F**king rock

Actually, just get a key from the dealer. Of course you need all of you ownership papers.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I've not looked inside a road car door, but challenge doors have no security shielding over the locking mechanism, so a steel strip should find the rod, but it will help to look at the parts book or another car first.

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    [removed by Rob at the request of Ferrari]

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think he's asking about how to drive for the first 500 miles when new... or perhaps how to properly warm up the engine/tranny before each drive...

I'll allow the experts to reply. For me, I simply let the car run for about 3-4 minutes before going anywhere. Then, I take it pretty gentle for the first few miles (especially with that rough 2nd gear). Once the temps all seem to be in the their normal range, I pretty much drive however I want.

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Of course we all new that really didn't we chaps !!!

MW

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
  8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    ohhhhhhhh, I seeeeeee.

DOH!

Engines are all run in at Factory. Warm the OIL up and let rip, enjoy.

9. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Get the oil temp up and drive the hell out of it.

If you want a fast car...drive it fast from day one.

If you want one with long engine life (boring), ease into it.

With Ferrari's and synthetic oil, I don't think the second theory applies anymore.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I love how this thread started - I was always looking for that type of knowledge - I always go for the diver side window and feel that this is not very sophisticated

-----------------------

regarding the break in period - search the old FChat site - there is a lot of feedback

I use the break my engine in according to what the owner’s manual says - check fluids often - change oil between 1000-1500miles - the drive it hard philosophy is centered around seating the piston rings - search the Web and you find tons of opinions

I use the 360 Challenge recommendation to bed in my breaks

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    But your stradale has carbon brakes.

I find standard challenge DS3000 pads to be near useless. Our pro's fry them in 3 laps at Calder Park, known for it's big stops twice in 60 seconds.

I now use 8 slotted discs all round with all sorts of different pads...not DS3000 though. Have gained about 10 metres in braking distances, and they dont fry.

I'd be interested to see what Ferrari say for bedding new Stradale carbon brakes. Does the manual have a page for it?

Maybe start a new thread........

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Seems like a new 360 burns little or no oil. For me this means its internal parts are seated pretty well. I recommend you Let the oil warm up and then drive it like you want. I have heard that "babying" it can actually hurt the ring seating.

Supposedly the engines have already been run by the factory harder than you or I will ever get to.

As far as changing the oil, I have driven a Lexus 400 with original oil to 83,000 miles with no apparent ill affect. I just add a quart about every 10 tanks. Same level of consumption since day one. It seems like changing your oil very 1500 to 3000 is a huge waste.

Has anyone ever really met anyone that regretted not changing the oil every 3000 instead of every 10 or 15000? For real?

13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You never change your oil!?!?

Uhh, please, nobody do that to your Ferrari. A Toyota engine can survive it... but instead of lasting 1,000,000 miles, I bet it lasts 1/5 of that or less.

Maybe, maybe not. There's two reasons to change your oil: because it gets old (breaks down) or because it gets dirty. If you don't drive the engine too hard (don't get it too hot), the oil will last a lot longer. If you drive in an area with very little dust, your oil will stay clean a lot longer.

If you run your Ferrari hard, changing the oil every 3000-5000 miles is not a waste. If 3000 miles means 3 years, changing the oil every 3000 miles is not a waste (but letting the Ferrari sit in a garage all the time is!).

But in any case, no oil lasts 83,000 miles... your poor engine is running with a thick, dirty ooze as a lubricant. I feel sorry for whoever you sell that car to... they'll be thinking they're buying a great Toyota engine that should last 1,000,000 miles and will be quite disappointed.

14. knight355

knight355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2003
    My friends 360 got broken into recently- fortunately they didnt manage to take the car but they had a damn good try and left with some of his possessions. Airing information like this doesn't help.

15. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Come on......I know security is a taboo subject, but if any man out there is intelligent enough to get himself in a position to own a Ferrari, he will certainly know the most basic and common and obvious way to open a locked door.

Most 11 year olds know it.