Spiders Vs Targa's | FerrariChat

Spiders Vs Targa's

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Badapple, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Can anyone comment on the +'s & -'s of these type of 348/355's. Compared together?

Phil

2. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    I can only comment on the +/- of a 308 gtsi and a 348 spider. I liked both very much. I never expected to have a spider and felt more safe at speed in the targa. However when I took my current 348 spider for a test drive I fell in love. Had I not test drove it I would have never considered a convertable. The spider is by far more fun but I do not know about using it on the track. I am looking into it this coming season.
    Riv

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like spider/targa as much more for fun than closed coupe. i think spider takes the looks over the targa but about equal for fun. re track, i wonder how many amature drivers doing 5-10 track days/year can extract 100% performance from an open ferrari? no need for coupe unless you can do that imho. if track is your priority get a dedicated track car.

4. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks for the replies guys, would you say that you get the full 'roof down' driving experience from a GTS?
    Is there any difference in engine noise between the two when the roof's are off?

Phil

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    open-ness of spider and targa are close but engine note on open spider is way better

6. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I myself love the lines of the 308 GTB. But I live in Florida so the GTS makes that much more sense..

The only thing that worries my about getting the older 308 GTS is the fact that I may have to deal with leaks.. The older cars may have a bit more flex to the chassis than the newer 348's and 355's. (But I could be wrong)

If you go for the Targa, go with the body colored tops.. You get the best of both worlds. A removable top the looks like a GTB when in place.

Good luck with your choice..

7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have had 185 mph on my Ferrari 348 spider, no probelm with the roof up. Down is a different story.

8. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    185mph on a 348 spider !!!

That's amazing.

9. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I cannot agree with you more.

GTS does get the best of both worlds except that it leaks in the rain.

Spiders just don't look as beautiful (in my opionion).

10. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #10 kenyon, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have 365 BHP from it.
    Here are my performance fiqures.

-100 km/h - 4.7 sec / 0-60 mph - 4.6 sec
    Top speed is 295 Km/h / 183 mph
    Max Rpm Limit - 8200 rpm
    Max Power Output – 269 Kw / 365 bhp (PS) at 7,800 rpm
    Max Torque – 375Nm / 278 lbs/ft at 5,200 rpm

Graph Representation Data
    Blue Line represents the standard Power Output
    Red Line represents the increase Power Output – ECU/Ignition/Injection Mapping Upgrade ONLY
    Further Power Output increase – As per Performance Upgrades listed below
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    #11 Izza, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got my 355 GTS up to top speed on a motorway in France and roof began to vibrating. Trust me - its a very unnerving feeling wanting to hold onto the roof catch with one hand and the steering wheel with the other!!

As for the spider I much prefer engine noise and as seen below top speed is no pproblem with roof off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004

13. Davidlewis

Davidlewis Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    San Diego, Calif.
    Full Name:
    David Lewis
    Generally, I like the look and feel of a spider, being a true convertible. What I do like about the targa featue on my 308GTS is the combination of sunshine with calm, quite air at the speeds most of us drive. You can hold a decent conversation without shouting. I also have a body colored top and like it's GTB appearance.

14. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    If you must have an open top car go for the spider - it is prettier and the chassis flex won't drive you crazy as somewhere you expect it.

The 355 is a truly excellent car with very few defects, the 348 is without a shadow of a doubt the worst Ferrari ever built, period. Even Luca di Montezemolo said so. Horrible chassis, disastrous gearbox, no redeaming quality. The day I traded in my 348, was one of the happiest of my "Ferrari" life!

15. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon

You talk rubbish. The 348 is a drivers car. The 348 has a better feel on the road then the 355. The 348 feels like a go kart. No power steering like the 355. The performance is better on the 355.

The 348 was used as a benck mark for the 355 spider.

The F348 Ferrari Spyder was launched in 1993, running alongside the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS. It was the first two-seater spyder sportscar made by Ferrari since the 365 GTB/4 (Daytona) Spyder last sold in 1974. It was the first mid-engine two seater Spyder produced by Ferrari.

There have been many engineering developments and design refinements to F348 series that have improved its Performance, Handling and Comfort.

In addition to the modifications to the body configuration of the F348 Spyder, there had been significant technical changes that enhanced the performance and road stability.

Engineering developments included a transverse gearbox with revised ratios for quicker acceleration and a free flowing exhaust system for higher power output. The wider rear track with an improved suspension system assured better handling and manoeuvrability.

In 1994, the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS cease production with the all new F355 GTB/GTS. The F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were still produced alongside the F355 series.

The late F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were further evolutionised by introducing the F355 characteristics onto the F348 Spyder’s as a development platform for the all new F355 Spyder that was to be released in 1995, when the F348 Spyder cease production.

Their has never really been a bad Ferrari.