78 308 radio? | FerrariChat

78 308 radio?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joeyy, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    what is the original radio for a 78 308 GTS? there is a kenwood system in there now but i think it may have come with an alpine or something like that.
    my owners manual has a radio operation diagram but nothing specific.

does anyone know?

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep. Search the archives for the exact model, but I'm pretty sure that our 308s came with a Blaupunkt radio (not sure if tape?), the style with the two large knobs on either side.

Unless you're going for 100% originality, or for that "classic" feel (as if the carburettors aren't enough!), something modern would probably do better.

--Mike

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    My 1975 has a Blaupunkt cassette with that wonderful analog tuning. (Which, actually, I kind of like.......)

4. juanito308

juanito308 Karting

Mar 7, 2003
    Littleton, Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I Have a '79 308 GTB with what I think is the original radio. It is a Blaupunkt with a casette player, two big round knobs for tuning and volume, and pre-sets. It is a horrible set-up with only two speakers and limited adjustment. I enjoy listening to my Euro Ansa exhaust better anyway!

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    PRE-SETS!!!!! You're uptown, baby.

6. juanito308

juanito308 Karting

Mar 7, 2003
    Littleton, Colorado
    Full Name:
    John

Yeah, the pre-sets are great along with the analog tuning you mentioned. Trouble is, here in Colorado, the signal goes in and out so the pre-sets don't do a thing. Oh well, at least my antenna still goes up and down!

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I might not have pre-sets, but I accidentally discovered another feature about my radio.

Sometimes when I drink about 12 too many beers, I go out in the garage and sit and listen to the radio. (At least I have enough sense not to drive the car.......) I usually try to find Golden Oldies type of stations, as it's in keeping with the period of the car. One night I couldn't seem to get crap. I discovered a sliding bar with "City" and "Country" setting. (Might have actually been labeled "DX" and something else.) Anyway, it was set wrong. I slid the bar and I can pull in stations from all over the state.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I sold an original Blapunkt radio set from my 78 308 GTS on Ebay last year. I believe in the USA, it was a dealer installed item. It was comprised of a "head unit" cassette deck in the dash, along with an amplifier. In addition, there was a gooseneck that attached to the forward portion of the center console, and this gooseneck had the radio controls, presets, and radio dial on it. It also included a microphone that was plugged into the cassette deck for the purpose of dictation.

I think I got close to $200 for the whole thing, including all the original blapunkt manuals and documents.

BTW, the original speakers were total crap, and the surrounds for the cones were rotted away. Even for their day, these were "dime store" speakers.

9. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #9 carl888, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you have a 1970's car, the only radio to consider is a Becker Mexico! It just looks so beautiful when lit at night. You can't hear it of course, but that's not the point.

(Note that all Ferrari radio's were a dealer fitted accessory then, so each country fitted a different unit)

Regards,

Carl.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #10 carl888, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Call Gary Goodman at Goodman Radio.

He was the primary installer for many year of the radios that went into all the cars that left Algar in PA. He's also an f-car owner.

He will know exactly whaat they were putting in, since I believe he's been at Goodman Radio since the late 70's.

He may even have an old unit in back he could sell you. Never hurts to ask.

He's rooting around for a Becker for my 246 as we speak.

Ph: (610) 525-2836

12. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    thanks for the info guys! i want to upgrade the radio to modern standards but want to keep the original brand.(i never listen to the radio while driving the engine sings tha best song) but i am one of these nuts that has to have everything work even if i dont use it. It looks like Blaupunkt wins the sweepstakes!!

13. John_308qv

John_308qv Karting

Apr 9, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think that no radio came with the car from Ferrari. They were a dealer-installed item (At least it was on my 85 308qv). So any period correct stereo should be o.k. Who’s to tell you you’re wrong? :)

Regards, John