360 low speed clunking suspension noise | FerrariChat

360 low speed clunking suspension noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vanimal, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Just collected my new to me 360 last weekend, what a drive, light years different from my 348 challenge (more about that later) I noticed a clunking sound coming from what seems to be the front right suspension only at low 2- - 30 mph speeds over really bumpy roads. At higher speeds there is no noise at all, also on full lock the car feels like its dragging one wheel. Other than that she drives and handles great )steering not a responsive as 348, especially in the dead ahead position - blame power steering I guess)

Anyone gpt any ideas what the clunking could be prior to me giving the dealer an earfull, and is the full lock feeling normal on a 360???

Any ideas and hints appreciated as I did search on ;suspension' and teh likes and never found any threads on this.

2. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Cmon, someone out there must have an idea?????

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    I would check for any "play" in the "A" frame joints and also the track rod ends.

MW

4. ferrarokid

ferrarokid Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    tech bulletin # 1190 tell's to remove the lower shock bolt & apply "molykote" to prevent suspension noise over smaller eregularities !

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Vanimal,

i'm sure I read on here that 360's have or do suffer from ball joint problems

6. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen

If the car is indeed new, why worry about it? Just let the dealer do his jobs. If it's used, suspect a cracked subframe.

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    another area to check are the anti-roll bar bushings - they are nylon or something similar - these bushings might click or squeak if the bar is loaded (left/right wheels are pushed into opposite direction; bump or uneven road)

theory is that during shipping the (new) car is exposed to salt water which dissolves the grease out of the bushings at which point they start to make noise – this does not impact operation it is simply noisy

what happens is that when the torsions bar is loaded (ends are turned in opposite direction) at some point the bar starts to rotate in the bushing (brake loose) which makes the sound

you can reproduce it by driving slowly over a speed bump with one wheel or by lifting the car up on one side and placing a wooden block under the wheel – once you release the car (wheel) slowly onto the block you can hear the noise once the bar becomes loaded

yes the full lock feel is normal