Draining Radiotor on a 308 | FerrariChat

Draining Radiotor on a 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Sean F., Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I was working on the car last night and decided I should remove one of the metal cooling lines on the passenger side of the engine to allow better access to the alt/AC etc. for my timing belt service.

I open the front and see the air vent, and bleed screw on the radiator. But the bleed screw drains right on top of the front spoiler and will go who knows where.

Am I missing something or is there a better way to drain the coolant? I really don't want it all over the garage floor, which seems is what would happen since their are no holes anywhere in the spoiler.

I know their is a drain plug in the engine by the fire wall, but I'll need to get more fluid out than that to remove that hose, and I need to replace a few rubber hoses anyway so this seemed like a good time to do it.

Thanks

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi Sean,
    I seem to recall a drain cock on the lower L/H side of the radiator on my GTS. Is that the one you mention in your post? Mine just drains across the inside of the lower valance and out on to the floor. After I'm done I flush with fresh water and blow dry. The drain cock is a pain to get to also but may be the best place for a controlled drain out of the system.

I drained my system by disconnecting a heater hose from a main cooling tube located just below the steering rack and just in front of the passenger bulkhead. I had to remove an access panel (the 1' X 2' one)to get to it but from there it was easy. Located at the lowest point of the system or nearly so.

I have had thoughts of adding a valve of sorts to that hose for a more controlled process. ( I got a face full when I pulled the hose the last time).

Hope this helps, DJ

3. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Do not. Repeat do not use the procedure at the web addres which requires you to remove the hose on the lower part of the radiator passenger side. It is almost impossible to get back on. I cut the old one off thinking that putting the new one back on would be easy. Took me all weekend and a lot of skin off my hand to get it done. Most frustrating thing that I nave ever done on a car.

4. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    That web address says to remove the hose on the main lines running front/back down the center of the car.

Funny thing Russ but that hose desparately needs to be replaced so I guess I'll have a weekend of scraped knuckles to look forward too.

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    sorry to say there is no perfectly clean way to drain the rad. put down a large piece of cardboard first then do the drain. you can take the lower valance off which will make access and cleanup easier but it will still a bit messy.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It's there, but such a PITA to get at, & as you say, you've got a mess to clean up.
    This is where most of us drain. I cut the heater hose & put a radiator flush kit's 'T' connection in. The T's center is a capped hose fitting. Now I just put a 5-gal bucket under the cap & unscrew it. Usually have some paper or cardboard on the floor, but seldom spill more than a tablespoon or 2.

Oh, yes, before starting to drain, make sure of the following:
    - coolant tank cap is off
    - heater temp valves are on 'hot' ie: open.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I just the drain cock. Works fine. I put a pan under the car and loosen it and pull it out but just slightly hold it in front of the hole. This way it doesn't pour out. I didn't spill a drop the other day.