512 BBi bumper conversion | FerrariChat

512 BBi bumper conversion

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by maximilian.szwaj, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Hello everyone in Southern California.
    I am new to this 'circle' and also new to the RED cars.
    Previously I have been heavily involved with sports cars from Stuttgart.
    Three months ago I have acquired a 1983 BBi with one owner history. I always liked this model since I was a student.
    The car is solid and clean but somehow neglected. I have decided to go through the car with a 'tooth brush'.
    One of the most annoying things about the car is the US bumper conversion! I am in the process of importing
    the bumpers and other necessary parts to bring the car to standard condition. I want to get rid off the fat rubber lip
    and some additional sheet metal structure which was welded on the delicate frame work.
    I have disassembled the front and the rear of the car (bumper and adjacent area). I am absolutely amazed why would DOT or EPA
    or whatever the organization was, to put the extra 'reinforcing' in the front and the rear of the car. The car looks hideous and the
    structural changes would never work.
    I would like to ask if there is anyone around north of LA (Thousand Oaks) with an original 512 BBi who would allow me to take
    some pictures of the radiator/AC area and the rear of the car above the exhaust cans. I have also discovered two extra air blowers
    in the rear just behind the tail lamps. Is there a cooling/air circulation problem in the engine bay?
    I am still learning about the car and there is a lot to learn!
    Cars from Stuttgart with flat six boxers are very simple compare to this beast.
    Can any one help?
    Thank you,
    Maximilian.

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Maximilian,
    Welcome to Fchat and congratulations on your new ownership. There are a number of active 512BBi owners in the area. Jim S, Dave E, and Armen G. come to mind. I don't know these guys' new nicks but if you do a search in the old Ferrarichat archives, you will find their info...I'm more than certain one of these guys will be able to help you out.

Another way to do this is to go to the Crystal Cove gathering in Laguna Beach on Saturday mornings (6:30-9am). Jim, Dave, and Armen are regulars there... I think that would be the best time for you to take some snapshots of their boxers.

Hope that helps.
    Byron

3. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hi Maximilian,

Welcome to Fchat. If you need any parts for your car please let me know and I can quote you prices. Alternatively please visit www.owners.ferrari.com where you'll be able to see everything we have for your car.

Best
    Mark

4. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Byron and Mark thank you very much for your information.
    I will make a trip to Laguna Beach this or next weekend and also I will try to look through the archives. This is a great tip!
    Also, I am registered on the www.owners.ferrari.com and the parts I am getting are from You guys in the U.K.
    I have to say that you are very professional. I deal with another Mark from parts department. Or maybe it is you.
    Regards and thank you again,
    Maximilian.