SoCal --> Boston | FerrariChat

SoCal --> Boston

Discussion in 'New England' started by jdb, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I currently live in Los Angeles, but will be moving to Boston in about 6 months. In SoCal, there are F-car gatherings and drives every weekend. What's it like in Boston? Any good, frequent drives?

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Well we do a pretty good job in the summer, esp if you're a member of FCA-NER. Take a look @ bighead's post lower down the list (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5818) for a starting list of stuff we'll be up to. Right now most everyone's car is probably in their garage until late march early April.

We do meet up for f-chat drives as well - there have been a variety of drives etc. Drop a post/line etc when you arrive, you'll be welcomed.

Dan

3. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Right now we're all freezing our butts off, and only driving vehicles with traction control and/or all wheel drive. About the time you get here we'll be thawed out and not looking back at this winter...

Welcome to Siberia, you'll get used to it.

Kind Regards, Chris

PS: To better answer your question, yes there is activity for three seasons, just not this one.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Is the move VOLUNTARY!? What suburb are you looking at?

People always twist the knife and ask me what it's like moving from Oahu to Boston (last summer). I reply, "Like getting kicked in the teeth." And the customer service-types are usually the first to help you feel that way, with their "what the heck is WRONG with you?" demeanor.

Then the traffic. 40mph becomes a wild ride. After a while in the city, freeway speeds feel absolutely naughty!

Of course, it's not like you'd move there with a broken-down car, no air-conditioning in your apt, no jobs, absolutely zero ($0.00) money and all your credit cards 99.5% maxed. But me know if you are broke, cause there's a great place in the Watertown Mall on Arsenal St. where you can take marketing surveys for $3-7 each. We bought our groceries for three weeks telling what we thought of Olive Garden commercials! It got a lot better the next month, but you gotta love being a student...

5. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    we'll clue you in on all the gory details once you arrive.

if you're lucky you might have a couple tame winters. a few years back we had a GREAT winter and i kept my 996TT on the road almost throughout.

had i had the 550 back then, i would have kept it on the road that winter.

doody.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    jdb,

Am located about a hour north of Boston and enjoy holding get togethers/drives here. Only had two parties last years. See:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/bday2003/fchat/

and

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/fchat1003/

This coming spring we are going to have a Dyno Day party at a shop about an hour from Boston. Naturally we can also have meets at the beach, etc. Once you get to Boston post it here as i have a New England e-mailing list.

Hope you love snow and ice in the winter... but after over a decade in Florida i love this place. The roads here are AWESOME and the changing of the seasons is glorious.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: NE dudes, bought a few goodies for our next get together here and YES, will also get those excellent steaks Birdman loves :)

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Did someone say steaks?? Yummmm!! Yeah baby, I'm a filet mignon kinda guy....

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

Drove the Ferrari today (20+ miles each way) to pick up four of those steaks for Sunday :) Car drove great and the roads here are clean. Not sure which will be more joyous, Lori and steak during Super Bowl Sunday, or today's drive.

OK, who am i kidding. i'll take it all :)

But fear not, have purchased a few cases of champagne (and boxes of cigars) for the next gathering at my place. Am in the middle of redecorating the livingroom and would enjoy your wife's opinion as it should be done in a few weeks.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

PS: How is the young 'un doing? Got pics?

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ah, yes! That winter is becoming a distant, fond memory! Down here in CT, I was able to drive the Ferrari every week that winter. This year, we have a foot of snow on the ground that doesn't look like its going anywhere soon and I haven't driven the Ferrari since New Year's Day.

Welcome to Beantown though. Winters aside, its a great place to be. Of course I'm biased, having grown up there.

John

12. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Here's a short video that shows you why I'm bummed about moving to Boston (this was a drive we did last weekend).

http://4.60.183.148/index.htm

Do you guys have gatherings like this in the summer at least?

13. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Steven,
    Send living room pics when done and I'll get the boss to check them out.

Yeah, we got a "few" baby pics around here. Be careful what you wish for!

Jonathan

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Apologies for thread jacking.

Jonathan,

Sure, let us see a photo or two of Jr. Must be, hmmm, 8 months young now, right? As for living room, here is a photo below.

Still have not figured out the new drapes (right side) nor new couch and table, but the rest is self explanatory. The custom stand for the flat panel TV and tube amplifiers will be 100% wood (possibly Pennsylvania Cherry to match the custom Grandfather clock already here and have them also build a matching table for in front of the couch). The wood coloring will closely match the reddish color within the paintings' frames.

The Pejman to the LEFT is already there, but do not have a wide enough angle lens. If you recall the living room, i reversed the turntable and equipment rack positioning on the left wall so the horizontal painting fits. A horizontal painting is on it's way to fit on the right wall (marked in red in photo below). The living room DESPERATELY needed some color. Find myself going down there now and NOT turning on the TV. Simply getting lost "in the paintings" is sheer joy in and of itself.

Comments?

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin